80's metal is waaay back! Netflix 'The Dirt'

I figured the "71" corresponded to your birth year. I was born in November, so I had to wait to start school because of the cutoff for the state where I started elementary school.
My Mom was mostly Motown, Stax and old Gospel, but my Dad was more eclectic: Motown and Stax, of course, but also The Beach Boys, later Doobie Brothers, Joe Cocker and even some folk like Simon and Garfunkel. He let me know that I was conceived to Marvin Gaye, which is weird, but explains my affinity for his music.

I didn’t reject my parents’ music in the same way that some kids reject there parents’ soundtracks, but by the time I could buy my own music, Prince, Hall & Oates, and to a lesser extent, emerging Hip Hop were what I liked.

Because I was in “Gifted and Talented” classes—mostly as a result of high scores on standardized tests, certainly not because of any academic achievement—most of my friends were white, and their parents, being Boomers, listened to a never ending “Woodstock-era” playlist.

What’s odd is that there was less crossover between what my African-American parents listened to, and what my friends’ parents were listening to. One of my best friends, his parents were the exact same ages as my parents: his dad was born on the same day in ‘48 as my dad, his mom the same day in ‘51 as my mom. By that metric, same cohort. But to a very large degree, race, class and geography affected their musical taste because in my household, my folks were only vaguely aware of Hendrix’s existence, and when I was with my friends in their homes, neither Motown nor Stax had any “market penetration”. The exception was my friend Jason, whose mom, Vicki—who smoked a LOT of weed—was a ravenous consumer of music: that lady was always very very kind to me, and she’d never met a musical style she didn’t like. She also may have been stone deaf because whether it was Louis Armstrong or The Who, she’d rock it so loudly that the windows would rattle on the kick drum parts.

TL;DR - I had a bunch of different people influence my musical tastes.

Not sure why the trailer hasn't been posted yet, so...
I see that they will be addressing Vince's daughter's death. I really feel for Vince. He's never been able to recover from that pain. I'm a relatively new dad myself and having a daughter has certainly changed my priorities all around.

Reactions: LTE

LTE

I see that they will be addressing Vince's daughter's death. I really feel for Vince. He's never been able to recover from that pain. I'm a relatively new dad myself and having a daughter has certainly changed my priorities all around.
I too feel for Vince. My cousin lost their daughter recently (though she was 19, still hurts). I can see it's hard for her to move on. I also don't think Vince wanted Motley Crue to end. I hope he cleans up and gets healthy (recent pictures of him are not flattering).

As for the movie, my boss and I are stoked to see this.

cragginshred

I agree with most of the posts that Maiden or other 'better' bands would have been more interesting to those of us who followed theses bands in the 80's, but this is an interesting tale.

Class of 85 here! When 'Shout' came out we were eating up everything hard rock and what was considered 'metal' at the time and loved that album. When 'Theater of pain' came out It was such a major let down. The songs were lame. I checked out on them until re visiting Dr Feelgood stuff the past few years albeit 20 something years after it's release. That album has some great stuff and even tho Mick is not known as a technical player, the rhythms on Kick start and some of the others are pretty challenging or at least clever and thoughtful. I think Nikki actually writes a lot of it.

As far as the couple of 'who says metal is back' comments, Really?
Wacken or Donnington festivals say otherwise.

FPFL

Netflix have chosen Motley crue (over Steel Panther.........argh) for a feature biopic about the best era in guitar oriented music -EVER! It's ok if you disagree
It was a great era of fun.

A few quibbles though. This movie is about MC, not the era. I'd have much preferred the era as a whole. So many stories, and stories of all kinds too, not just rock excess.

The story of Crue is basically a blender of rock party to a drum beat of bad things happening over and over to the drunk and/or drug-addled and sometimes downright nasty, selfish people.

They had the hits to fuel the engine of their chemical existence and in the after party they left more than a few damaged lives and even multiple deaths in their wake...

In our time of #metoo I have no clear idea why it was green-lit, maybe that's why it bounced around a while before Netflix picked it up?

Let's be clear-eyed about one thing though, Crue was a hair band. One of the biggest American hair bands, but hair all day.

Zero actual metal heads think of Nikki "Metallica is ****** band. They won't be here in a few years." Sixx (quote from 1990) is one of their own.

Who was the fad? : )

Last edited:

nixdad

I'm also class of 89. I was big into shugugga gugga weedly weedly in jr/sr high school but I'm not overly nostalgic now.

Last year while we were staying in New Orleans for spring break production for The Dirt had a bunch of trucks and trailers parked across the street from our rental condo so I'll be curious to see if any NOLA landmarks are in it.
"shugugga gugga weedly weedly"..made me spit my coffee!

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Supporting Member
Shout at the Devil was awesome when it came out during my 6th grade year. After that; I moved on to stuff that was actually metal instead of just c*ck rock with a pentagram on the album cover:Devil

The book was great but I am assuming the Netflix film curse will befall the movie.

84superchamp

Silver Supporting Member
My Mom was mostly Motown, Stax and old Gospel, but my Dad was more eclectic: Motown and Stax, of course, but also The Beach Boys, later Doobie Brothers, Joe Cocker and even some folk like Simon and Garfunkel. He let me know that I was conceived to Marvin Gaye, which is weird, but explains my affinity for his music.

I didn’t reject my parents’ music in the same way that some kids reject there parents’ soundtracks, but by the time I could buy my own music, Prince, Hall & Oates, and to a lesser extent, emerging Hip Hop were what I liked.

Because I was in “Gifted and Talented” classes—mostly as a result of high scores on standardized tests, certainly not because of any academic achievement—most of my friends were white, and their parents, being Boomers, listened to a never ending “Woodstock-era” playlist.

What’s odd is that there was less crossover between what my African-American parents listened to, and what my friends’ parents were listening to. One of my best friends, his parents were the exact same ages as my parents: his dad was born on the same day in ‘48 as my dad, his mom the same day in ‘51 as my mom. By that metric, same cohort. But to a very large degree, race, class and geography affected their musical taste because in my household, my folks were only vaguely aware of Hendrix’s existence, and when I was with my friends in their homes, neither Motown nor Stax had any “market penetration”. The exception was my friend Jason, whose mom, Vicki—who smoked a LOT of weed—was a ravenous consumer of music: that lady was always very very kind to me, and she’d never met a musical style she didn’t like. She also may have been stone deaf because whether it was Louis Armstrong or The Who, she’d rock it so loudly that the windows would rattle on the kick drum parts.

TL;DR - I had a bunch of different people influence my musical tastes.
Interesting!
The hits from Stax were well known and got a lot of radio play but i remember the delight in discovering B sides and entire albums...that music takes over a room, not very good for "background music". I love it. :cool:

DirtLover

Class of '88 here and was all in on the hair metal scene but only managed a pretty impressive mullet. I wasn't a huge MC fan, more of a Rush nerd and also dug Maiden, Dokken, Ratt, Triumph, VH as well as being in to Hendrix, Nugent and Aerosmith. But, I do think Crue was pretty awesome when at their peak, Dr. Feelgood is a good album and Mick is one of my favorite players from that era.

So... I'm looking forward to the movie and my expectations are low for any Oscar nods but I bet it'll be fun ride.

Tony

Did anyone ever figure out if Shout at the Devil contained any backward messages?

We were warned on the back album cover that it might!!!

Oh geez don't get me started... my mom ran FULL SPEED down the whole back-masking road... I didn't have the heart to tell her that Crue lyrics are bad enough forward; don't bother listening to them in reverse.

That whole thing was laughable and just sold more "objectionable" albums. Someone queue Tipper Gore...

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Gold Supporting Member
I'd have much preferred the era as a whole. So many stories, and stories of all kinds too, not just rock excess.
A film or series about the Sunset Strip in the 80s could be pretty cool. Particularly if music wasn't the central focus, or if it didn't concentrate on famous folks if it was.

Tony

I enjoyed that one, too. Well-presented history of the Strip with interesting perspectives from interviewees.
I missed the whole 80s Sunset scene. Too young. We played at the Whisky and the Roxy and had a beer or 5 at the Rainbow but that was in 2000, 2001-ish. It was pay-to-play by that point and there wasn’t much of a scene going.

Beto

Supporting Member
I graduated in 88 as well.

Family pic. I think my hair was bigger than my sisters

I did the math. My dad was 52 in this pic.

I’m 49.
I can say I'm from Class of 91.

All those kids from the last twenty years making an effort trying to look weird...

In the 80's we looked weird while making an effort trying to look good. ;)

Trending Topics