80's metal is waaay back! Netflix 'The Dirt'

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cragginshred, Feb 20, 2019.

1. chrisr777

chrisr777 Member

I had a '67 Cougar in the 80's. Had a 5L Mustang engine with a four barrel Holly and could fly. Sigh.

rspencer likes this.
  2. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

Class of ‘85 here. Was never a big Cruë fan. Anyone remember when Circus magazine had ads for a company selling albums for these bands before they hit mainstream popularity?

My friends and I always got a kick out of the “Looks like KISS, sounds like Van Halen” description for the Too Fast For Love album.

LeftyGtrPlr and cragginshred like this.
  3. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

Graduated HS in '89. I took an interest in this, until I read that the movie just about Motley Crue, and not about the general timeframe of rock/guitar, etc... I have zero interest in it if that's the case.

Never been a fan. I tolerated them in the 80s. But once they went full reality TV in the 90s, I wrote them off for good. I can't imagine a movie about them being any better than the dozens of MTV shows they appeared on.

I liked a lot of good rock and metal in the early 80s. After about '86 I couldn't stand it. I hated hair glam. Motley Crue was the worst offender, IMO.

WordMan and chrisr777 like this.
  4. 0018g

0018g Member

I was class of '91, and I am not ashamed to say I loved hair metal. Still listen to a lot of that stuff. I couldn't (and still can't) stand Nirvana or grunge of any kind. I'll be watching this.

I would also like to say I was fortunate enough to keep the old Camaro I had in high school. So there.

5. cragginshred

cragginshred Member

DirtLover likes this.
  6. cragginshred

cragginshred Member

So sad that the '80's' are judged by the end of the 80's and not the beginning Ozzy/Rhoads, EVH, Ac Dc, Scorps, Hi n Dry, Piece of mind, Moving pictures, Priest- 'Unleashed in the east' Queensryche -The warning
    Dio, Ratt, Dokken, MAIDEN

Effn EPIC era!!!

7. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

It was made for people who want it all; and want it now.

RicardoDiazHimself and A-Bone like this.
  8. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

Yup. All good stuff. Then bands like Motley Crue had to go mess all that up. How they got so popular I'll never know.

cragginshred likes this.
  9. drc

drc Supporting Member

It's funny. I found my self going through the same thing in my early 30's but from a different perspective. I just couldn't dig on the Cure or the Smiths even though it influenced a ton of music I did like. Guess I just kind of treated the Cure like I did Kiss because of the visual aspect of it. That, and the sadness seemed like a phony selling point for kids that were misunderstood. It took a while, but after my love for virtuosity had settled down a bit I eventually did appreciate the writing of both bands, Johnny Marr in particular.

Poison and Motley I just could never understand the love for. Neither of those bands had very good singers if you compare them with the over the top tenors of that era. There were some truly gifted, untouchable singers through out the 70s-80's and I have nostalgia for that. But a lot of the 80's remind me of all the things I dislike about music now, a lack of sincerity - this fake sheen (and awful synth sound) that reminds me - this selfie, bulls**t culture of today would have easily fit in 1987.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    whatizitman and fretless like this.
  10. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

Would you mind taking the time to expand on this? What do you think he thought was old fashioned exactly? For some odd reason I find this really intriguing. I wonder if he'd think my playing was ancient history.

Pidgin English likes this.
  11. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

Well a lot of modern church music is what I suppose people would call "ethereal." Lot of delay and lot of keyboard "pad". When I learned a couple of songs to audition for, one was an instrumental version of "Happy" by Pharrell (church I was going to at the time always started with an instrumental version of a mainstream son) and a song called Only King Forever. With the instrumental I used a wah pedal a fair bit to give it a bit of a vocal quality to the lead (I was specifically told the wah pedal is an old fashioned type of effect) and I added a couple of licks into Only King Forever when there was no vocal. And I also like to use a more overdriven guitar tone than what you hear in a lot of modern church's. I like it somewhere between a Plexi and JCM800. So because of the wah pedal, the use of old school rock licks and the guitar tone (3 things specifically pointed out by the music director when he called me to tell me that I didn't make the band), I was told my playing style is old fashioned.

RhytmEarl likes this.
  12. WordMan

WordMan Member

Agree on all fronts.

13. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

I have a friend who saw it, no lie, 4 times in the theater. She's not a musician and really not a Queen fan outside of the hits.
    I think it was made for her and millions of others like her.

I'm waiting for it to show up on Netflix.

WordMan likes this.
  14. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

I had a 1965 Barracuda when I moved to Hollywood in '87. Bought it from the original owner in Silver Lake. I then got a '72 Duster 340 in '89 and eventually bought a bunch of other muscle cars after that and used to hang out with guys like David Freiberger (from Hot Rod/Motor Trend/Roadkill), who was a SoCal native and major gear-head. He and other Glendale Speed Shop guys were very helpful to like-minded hot rodders and metalheads.

Those were the days...

Hamer95USA and chrisr777 like this.
  15. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

But what is it that she's like that makes that an answer? I can't imagine wanting to see it more than once given that so little really happens over its about two hour running time. No snark meant, I'd be genuinely curious to know what it was that your friend liked about it that made her want to see it multiple times theatrically.

HeavyCream likes this.
  16. Pidgin English

Pidgin English Member

It's funny you say that. Back then I had no use for The Cure, Echo & The Bunnymen, The Alarm or on the rap side Eric B. and Rakim, Kool Moe Dee or Public Enemy. But I listen to them a lot these days and just remember a time that back then I thought was SO difficult but looking back, it was really so damn simple.

fretless likes this.
  17. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Toneful truth seeker. Gold Supporting Member

Was a decent fan of metal in that era but heavier stuff. Liked Motley Crue Loved em In fact at times.

Was more punk and heavy metal.

Glam was prevelant but not as much my thing.

GnR melded much of that and that is why they were huge.

HeavyCream and fretless like this.
  18. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

I'll have to ask her specifically what she liked so much. I know that my wife and I, both being musicians and fans of the band beyond the hits, heard and read several critical reviews of the movie and aren't moved to spend the higher prices of a cinema ticket to see what we may not really enjoy. I've heard that it's quite historically and chronologically inaccurate and that is a major turn-off for both of us.

chrisjw5 and HeavyCream like this.
  19. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

It's not. It had it's return in the early 2000s. That's been over for awhile.

20. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

It was back here at home, playing "I Wanna Rock!" today, LOL!

HeavyCream likes this.