80's metal is waaay back! Netflix 'The Dirt'

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cragginshred, Feb 20, 2019.

1. rspencer

rspencer Member

To be fair, Motley Crue was in the beginning of the 80s. Too Fast for Love was released on their own label in 1981, and on Electra in 1982. They played the US Festival in 1983 before Shout at the Devil was released. I think they just get remembered more for their late 80s MTV attention and the poppier hits.

cragginshred, Schafrocks and Hammered like this.
  2. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

Grew up in the 90’s (‘83) and was never into 80’s hair bands. Having said that, my uncle was/is a huge Crue fan. I hated them when I was a kid but they really grew on me. They are definitely way cooler than the cheesy hairsprays and spandex pop/metal bands of the late 80’s. I will definitely watch the new roc doc on Netflix.

I love the music video scene at the end of Hot Tub Time Machine. Robb Corddry NAILS it! :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

3. Doom Man

Doom Man Member

Nothing wrong with the end of the '80s. People that judge the end of the '80s with just the bad hair/glam at the time have an incredibly myopic view of things.
    There was SO MUCH just outside of that narrow bubble of Sunset Strip/Hair/Glam.

The Bay Area scene was still delivering the goods, Tampa Florida was pioneering new a sound and style, East coast with some raw and energetic stuff and internationally (but heh, the US is "international" to me anyway :D) the Germans and Brazilians delivered some of the most punishing and truly heavy stuff of the '80s. And that's probably barely covering all the bases

fretless and RicardoDiazHimself like this.
  4. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Not that you asked me, but as a guy who played in/around churches from ‘95 thru about ‘15, I can sum it up this way:

The typical suburban megachurch wants you to play like the Edge.

There are exceptions of course. But if you have a moderately overdriven tone, a couple delays and a big cave reverb handy they’ll love you.

fretless, cragginshred and RhytmEarl like this.
  5. Hammered

Hammered Supporting Member

Class of `85 . In The Dirt trailer it shows the 83/84 SATD tour stage having stairs on each side when in actuality it didn't if anyone cares :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  6. Hammered

A great time to be a teenager

SL_22 and db2112 like this.
  7. Hammered

Definitely , during the TFFL and SATD eras they were in the same camp and had the same fanbase (for the most part) as all those bands mentioned . In `85 when TOP was released and Home Sweet Home became the huge power ballad things started shifting into what would be later known as the hair era for Motley and a bunch of other bands

rspencer likes this.
  8. HiddenAgenda

HiddenAgenda Member

I wasn’t really a fan but read the dirt.
    That was just off the hook
    Great fun read

So this is different from Dirt the movie correct?

9. Guitarfool

Guitarfool Supporting Member

Very cool!! I enjoy seeing stuff like this

To see Y & T with Motley Crue for $7.50.... :eeks :dude

fretless, Hammered and cragginshred like this.
  10. Hammered

It was a great gig a month after my 15th bday . I had just got Too Fast For Love , Earthshaker and Black Tiger a few months earlier. Nikki Sixx must have been on a bad trip he looked like he was seeing ghosts all night

Guitarfool likes this.
  11. luv

luv Member

80's metal left? :dude

High school graduate in '86. Right in the middle of it, but I didn't consider it metal. It was just Rock to me.

LeftyGtrPlr and Hammered like this.
  12. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    Same here, but I was more Dave Vanian than Robert Smith lol. Got about the same reaction as you though I’m sure. I went to a rural area high school, which was not easy being as I was in the 80’s. A lot of my friends were into metal, but they were outcasts in that environment as well so it made sense to align with them. I hated more “hair” metal back then though, but have come to realize just how much I must’ve absorbed by osmosis from being around it then. It’s nostalgic for me now, and I realize I know all the freakin’ words to a lot of the songs. Like you said too...same thing with all that 80s Top 40. I heard A Huey Lewis song the other day, and suddenly I felt 14 years old again for those 3 mins.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    fretless likes this.
  13. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

I never thought it was cool, but I have 2 daughters as well and feel the same way.

fretless and FPFL like this.
  14. Stike

Stike Member

Definitely not cool and teaching my son that it's not cool.

fretless and FPFL like this.
  15. FPFL

FPFL Member

Motley Cure gets judged a certain way for a reason... example the Dirt has a new song with... Man Bun Kelly rapping in it. Joy! Isn’t that the great 80s we all want to remember again... uhhh, no.

To me it’s a return to form. Motley was always hungry for relevance inside, happy to jump on any trend to keep the party going.

They are a vapid party band. Always were, still are... now adding things that had -nothing- to do with the Dirt, like a 20 something rap guy and a Madonna cover?, bc it might improve the millennial appeal.

16. mikebat

mikebat Member

There was, but it wasn't Crue. They were the band your sister liked.

fretless likes this.
  17. FPFL

FPFL Member

My sister had better taste.

18. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

Some of the stuff most of the people here say is great strikes me as a bit cheesy but I admittedly haven’t given it enough time. I mean everyone here loves Van Halen but Hot for Teacher (if that’s the name of the song) is cheesy as hell. They probably have some great stuff. I need to get past that cheesy stuff.

19. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

It appears that the Dirt movie is based on the parts of the Dirt book that don't involve orgies.

20. FPFL

FPFL Member

Or the sex with high school kids.