80's metal is waaay back! Netflix 'The Dirt'

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cragginshred, Feb 20, 2019.

1. mikebat

mikebat Member

If you really objective, it is tough to get past the cheese. On the other hand, if you yield a little to the cheeze... and understand that even guys that were "yeah rock and roll party nites who hooo" had to bend their music to the general sentiment of the time. There are certainly good stuff in there. Not every band was a Sunset Strip makeup and Aquanet wanna be.

Guitarfool likes this.
  2. lp1987x

lp1987x Member

Class of '88 here as well. I still listen to Hair Nation on my Sirius radio all of the time and my band plays predominantly 80's hard rock. Yep, I'm still stuck in the past.

3. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

That makes sense. That being said, I’m a huge fan of Petty and he was making great, extremely uncheesy music, at that same time.

4. cbell2112

cbell2112 Member

Those were certainly my formative years as a listener and player. Shout At the Devil was my intro to Crue followed closely by Too Fast For Love. Loved those albums then and still do today. Everything after that was a disappointment to me. Some good stuff in there but didn't hit me as hard as those first 2.

5. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I showed this clip to a couple of my neighbors who grew up during this time.... Neither are huge Motley Crue fans, but they had some of their albums. They said they're going to watch it on Netflix...

6. Mike Schram

Mike Schram Member

Mick using an Epiphone LP..... fail.

LeftyGtrPlr likes this.
  7. mikebat

mikebat Member

:) Petty, John Hiatt, tons of great stuff in the 80's. But if we are talking "rawk"....I mean 80's hair metal and "heavy" metal...then as I said, have an open mind, but you will have to wade through a lot of cheeze.

8. HiddenAgenda

HiddenAgenda Member

Did Netflix buy the project?
    Maybe it’s the same movie that’s been in prod for 7 years.

Edit
    Yup looks like the same deal
    Whatever Netflix is cool
    Not too sure how good it will be compared to the book tho

9. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Totally agree. The book was a helluva page turner. I wonder how they'll deal with the misogyny. My guess is they will largely ignore it.

fretless and Hamer95USA like this.
  10. blandy-rhoades

blandy-rhoades Member

No way they can even get close to the book in today’s social climate imo. The book was about as un-PC as its gets. That said, I’ll still watch.

fretless, Hamer95USA and Tony like this.
  11. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

Right. But I would also opine that Shout at the Devil was slightly different enough that I guess set them apart a bit. Just not in a good way, IMO. Around that same time Out of the Cellar came out, which I liked so much better. I didn't own either, though. I was like 13 or so, and I was way more into REM, U2, and college radio. But when I think of the late 70s and early 80s Marshall tones that make me weak in the knees mixed with rump-moving song hooks, I instantly think of Dio, Ratt, Scorpions, a few others. Hell, even Quiet Riot. I don't think of Motley Crue. The whole "bad-boy" thing was just so overdone and cliche with them. It's clear that they lived up to their image. But geez. At least Quiet Riot had some tounge-in-cheek. Motley Crue was just cheesy. They are directly responsible for spawning Poison, and should be continually punished for it.

12. vourot

vourot Member

Did they address Vince Neil's vehicular manslaughter incident in the book ? Or was it glossed over just like the sentence he received ?

13. drc

drc Supporting Member

That is impressive that you saved them. I wish I had all my old stubs. I just always seemed to purge sh*t in each move I made to a new apartment. After a while I just let it all go. I hated when the printing of tickets at home became a thing. If I had a hard copy of every ticket, to every show and a copy of those bar tabs.....

I could probably buy a Prius with the money I spent.

Hammered likes this.
  14. Gary Malmsteen

Gary Malmsteen Member

I’m an Old and was around back then. Crue and Guns N Roses stood apart from the rest of the pack and weren’t considered metal or hair metal by most people, they had the respect of being authentic rock bands. A lot of that probably had to do with their lifestyles. They lived it. No iced tea in the Jack Daniels bottles there...

atk1, fretless and RicardoDiazHimself like this.
  15. blandy-rhoades

blandy-rhoades Member

I remember there being a lot about that in the book, from more than one of the band members perspective. It was just a different time, no way he would’ve gotten away with that now.

16. whatizitman

whatizitman Member

oh yeah now I remember the point I wrote them off for good. Some time in the 90s they had the obligatory VH1 Behind the Music episode, at which time I apparently had nothing better to do than watch. IIRC, Nikki Sixx talked about after he almost died from OD, and then after being almost miraculously revived, he went back home and "cooked up the biggest" hit of horse. Kudos to him if he ever did truly got off the stuff. But dude, WTF.

Apparently half their songs, books, etc.. post 1987 or whatever are all about their heroic recovery journeys. Yay them.

Idaknow. I just get kinda tired of the limelight given to recovering addicts. Apparently all us non-users were dorks for opting out of partying back in the day. Fast forward 30 years, and we're still uncool for not needing to be in recovery now.

I would love to see a badass epic biography of a non-partying musician. That dude knows how to sober like a rock star!!

The 2nd WTF moment for me was when Tommy Lee released that single. Wow that was bad. Where the hell did the guy ever get the idea that he should be allowed to sing?

fretless likes this.
  17. Hammered

Hammered Supporting Member

You could blame the Sweet for spawning Motley Crue

whatizitman and Petethekiller like this.
  18. Artjr

Artjr Member

Nah man, corvette ralleys.

19. cragginshred

cragginshred Member

@lp1987x I listen to Serius Hair nation too, a lot of crap with the same 10 bands on heavy rotation. Crazy how they neglect Ratt, Dio, Dokken for a huge dosage of Europe sappy ballads, Cinder Fella, Kiss, GnR and Bon Jovi every 4 or 6th song. And why heck can't they play some Steel panther???

20. scott58

scott58 Member

This should be a series that just goes down the list. There are alot of bands I'd like to see featured.