80's metal is waaay back! Netflix 'The Dirt'

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by cragginshred, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Petethekiller

Petethekiller Member

Good shout, you can bet the teenage Frank Feranna was into Ballroom Blitz and Blockbuster big time along with the makeup.

fretless and Hammered like this.
  2. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

YES! By age, I am squarely in the Gen X/Grunge Generation, but I rejected it, then and now. And their little revolution only survived about 5 years before imploding. Long live the'80s! :dude

cragginshred likes this.
  3. AudioEcstasy

AudioEcstasy Member

Stoked for this!! The book is great. It got me addicted (pun intended) to rock autobios.

PBGas likes this.
  4. Outlier

Outlier Member

I think it was mainly a commercial for orthodontists.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Class of 85. For our group MC was not metal at all. Metal was Priest, Maiden, Sabbath, Ozzy, Dio, Scorps. For us the glam hair metal stuff was guys dressing up like chicks and playing pretty ****** music to young kids who didn't know what real metal sounded like (remember, this is my thinking in 85). As a mid 80's grad I feel like we all got painted with that embarrassing hair metal brush when most of us hated that sh*t that was a late 80's fad. These days, I hear a few catchy MC songs that I remember and liked. I'd likely watch the movie anyway.

JB Winterblues and cragginshred like this.
  6. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

The release date is March 22nd which also happens to be my birthday - this is a perfect gift. Looks like it’ll be quite good!

cragginshred likes this.
  7. sertshark

sertshark Member

Definitely stoked to see this, for sure. Looking forward to it.

8. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

Me too. I doubt it was the same one. We had 44 graduates after the car accident.

Oh, don't worry. Some of us judge the 80's by everything you've listed. :D

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Phil M and Pidgin English like this.
  9. rstites

rstites Member

Most of my friends had late 70's/early 80's f-body's or just had to drive the beater family car, but one had a 1970 Chevelle. I had a '65 Mustang and I have managed to hold onto it all these years. It needs a light restoration now, but still has original paint and no rust on it, despite living its life in the midwest. (I drove a spare pickup during the winter to avoid the salt on the Mustang.)

When I got my first real paycheck, I picked up an '87 Porsche 944 Turbo, which I still have this day......and also needs a (very) light restoration. The Mustang is probably work far more, even though it's just the coupe with the base 289 V8.

VH is as cheesy lyrically and conceptual as any of the following hair metal. They're a bit wider ranging musically, but mostly the get a pass because of EVH being the first of big name shred players going into the 80's.

I've recently gone back through their DL era albums and while I really have enjoyed them, I think they edge pretty well on the cheesy side of things at times: assuming cheesy means the whole sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll aesthetic being central.

That's mostly me. I really enjoyed, and still occasionally enjoy, those first two albums. They following albums shifted direction, with just the occasional tune I really enjoyed.

About that same time I also enjoyed the first couple of Ratt albums and the first couple of Dokken albums. It seemed like up through '85 that music had a harder edge to it, and then it went more popish later. I recall seeing the first Poison album and being curious about it. When I heard it, it was fine, but it didn't entice me to go buy it, or many of the other bands that continued to come out in a similar vein. I guess I draw some sort of line in there that I hear, but it I'm sure it's just arbitrary.

10. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

Class of '88 here...The rock magazines like Circus and their like traded on reporting the partying aspect of bands in that era. Debauchery was not invented by the Crue but that was celebrated in their press and when they showed up for video interviews hungover and high, it added to the story. I loved the aggression of heavy pop like Def Lep and Scorps, the overlord metal of Priest, and the mastery of Maiden and I remember a sh!tload of fellow high school students wearing the tour shirts of the Crue anytime they came through town on tour. They even setup residence here in town during Dr. Feelgood. Not a fan (I did/do like a handful of tunes!) and certainly no fan of Sunset Strip glam metal but I would like to see this movie.

cragginshred likes this.
  11. cragginshred

cragginshred Member

@Outlier I felt the same way in the 80's, 'Shout' had my attention mainly because we ate up everything (good) that was coming out. But as stated before in a previous post, once 'Theater of pain' dropped I stopped listening to them.

Glad everyone is stoked to support the return of classic metal!!

Outlier likes this.
  12. lp1987x

lp1987x Member

Definitely true. Some of those bands get played on Ozzy's Boneyard too. However, every 4th song is either Ozzy, Sabbath, or Zakk. Lately, I've been listening to 313 Rock Bar a lot as it has some more variety, including some newer stuff.

13. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

Outside of wild side im not a fan, and that was my era. I just can't get into songs titled girls girls girls. Glad you all are stoked.

14. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Member

I graduated from high school in 97 but I LOVE this era of music, I got SO tired of the whiney and depressed grunge stuff, so many great bands from the hair metal hey day and so many super cheesy ones as well, but its all awesome. Just something about the style of guitar playing that I really love, especially Van Halen, Ratt and Dokken, but add in bands like the Crue, Skid Row, Winger (listen to the riff of "17" so damn good!), and Bon Jovi!

15. JB Winterblues

JB Winterblues Supporting Member

Class of 84. Loved MCs early EP and SATD. I was more into Scorpions, Priest, VH, and other late 70s bands (BOC, Sabbath, Tull) and in college 85-88 got way off that and into digging into 60s (Cream, Stones) and bands I could go see at college shows (REM, Southside, Hooters, Alarm). I'm still going to watch this because I'm a sucker for music biopics. I hope it ignites something new in my Spotify.

16. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Member

1980 I was 21....Perfect age for 60s-70s-80s music.

So you know where that puts me this year..... well in 6 days to be exact.
    Hell to get old!

17. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

Back to 60's music? :D

AXEnGEAR4J likes this.
  18. atk1

atk1 Supporting Member

Graduated in 93. I love 80's hair bands. I agree with one poster here: GnR & Motley separated themselves from the rest of the pack. I have to agree.

I think there is renewed interest in the genre. I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing "hair metal Greta Van Fleets" soon. I kinda hope so. (minus the actual hair and spandex)..

19. phodg

phodg Member

Graduated in '83. Saw Motley Crue play their first British gig in '85. But I was already moving to heavier stuff (e.g. Metallica, Slayer, Exodus etc.), and when I saw Metallica play live for the first time in '85 that made me forget Crue pretty quickly.

20. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I wasn't into Crue during their heyday, just couldn't deal with the makeup. I did get TFFL around 7th grade (class of '89 here) and still listen to it regularly. I don't think I saw MC live until around 2002, but thought they were great. I was a VH diehard from 2nd grade and still am.