1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

80's rack mount Chandler Tube Driver

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by Terry McInturff, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

I bought one when they came out (mid 80's?) but I didn't like it and stowed it away. I just found it, having forgotten all about it. I haven't ad a chance to try it, but maybe it would be fun for fuzzing things during mix down or something.

Anybody liking these for guitar?

HammyD likes this.
  2. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Member

I used one for years. Then Tube Works emerged. So I call to find out the difference in my unit to the one TW was producing. They offered to update it. Then I didn't like it anymore. :) It was a nice unit but didn't have the amount of gain as the pedal units I had by them. The original pedal had a looser distortion as I recall. It would be interesting to see how it holds up today.

iam_krash and Terry McInturff like this.
  3. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

I had the Chandler version and loved it. I have never been able to dial in distortion as well as with their "bias" knob.

Terry McInturff likes this.
  4. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

I'll give it a fresh try then!

5. HammyD

HammyD Supporting Member

This was back in the days of the PRS forum and I was big into Storyville. I tried to get the subtle distortion from Malford Milligan's track Mercy Street. I had an early McCarty and used the Chandler and a Peavey Valveverb into a BF Pro Reverb. Probably a million ways to get that sound, but except for the Chandler they all allude me....(but much does from time to time! LOL)

6. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

I still have a Chandler rackmount.
    Haven’t used it in a while, but I recall it working really well in front of one of my Lee Jackson/Perfect Connection pre-amps.
    It was a bit more adjustable than the pedal version.

jimmycupo likes this.
  7. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

I had one in the late 90's that I should have held on to - knew less then than I do now, and could probably make it work.

8. hydroquebec

hydroquebec Member

I feel like I've seen quite a few of these in racks and I've always been quite curious about the sound. Hopefully it sounds pretty cool for you!

9. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

I have one. It's one of those things where you either love it, or you hate it. I love it. Even if I'm not using it in my rig right now.
    Try experimenting with different tubes. Try some 12au7s and AT7s and whatnot. Makes a big difference in how it sounds. Also, makes some difference in how the bias knob reacts. I like running the bias knob at 3 o'clock. I'm still not sure if I like the ax or the au. But, that's because I'm as indecisive as they come. Sometimes, I choose not to decide.

10. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

Yah, supposedly, swapping in a lower gain 12AU7 was the "schnizzle".