80s Studio Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bort, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Bort

Bort Member

Anyone know how those super chorus-y guitars were typically recorded in the mid to late 80s? A mic’d JC-120? Ce-1/Ce-2 through and amp or di? Rack units - analog or digital? Mono or stereo?

I’m having a tough time replicating the sound, and any insight would be greatly appreciated!

2. LikeAMotherF

LikeAMotherF Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure Fulltone made "That 80's Rack Chorus" for just what you're asking about....

3. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

This.
    The Neunaber Inspire Tri-Chorus pedal is designed to grok that sound. It was one of my (probably my) favorite pedal at Winter NAMM this past year.
    The old Rocktron Intellifex had an 8 voice multi-chorus that sounded killer. You can pickup the Intellifex for not much coin these days and they still sound great.

thomas4th and Bort like this.
  4. CarlGuitarist

CarlGuitarist Member

Those are considered to be some of the most complex tones ever recorded by a lot of people. This question is best asked in the rack forum as that’s what people used back then.

Compression, chorus, detune, delay, eq and reverb all play an important role in getting that tone.

nastynate, fretless, Kelly and 3 others like this.
  5. Goldfinger62

Goldfinger62 Member

Dyno-My-Piano Tri-Chorus
    Roland CE-1/RE301/JC-120
    SR&D Rockman Stereo Chorus
    ADA STD-1 Stereo Tapped Delay

If you're going digital, the Rocktron Intellifex chorus is a digtial version of the 8 voice ADA STD-1. If you purchase a ADA STD-1 that needs servicing, DO NOT send it to ADA! Send it to SIB Effects.

peter_heijnen, Bort and Philhouse like this.
  6. Baskervils

Baskervils Member

FYI, rack units will not necessarily sound better than pedals unless they were seriously expensive at the time. Even that stuff doesn't always have much character.

I've gone through a lot of 80s rack stuff and I'd rather have 80s pedals any day of the week.

Tmidiman and chankgeez like this.
  7. DiNiro

DiNiro Member

Forget the name of the guy that did so by Peter Gabriel and the Joshua tree but there was a definite recipe for that sound

8. Batch

Batch Member

Yamaha SPX 90 was used for a lot of that, I believe

gtrgeek335, mixn4him and uab9253 like this.
  9. Dominik

Dominik Member

Obviously the 80s and early 90s rack gear mentioned is the holy grail but also worthy of a mention is the Strymon DIG in free mode. It can do a beautiful stereo chorus and you can kill the dry signal.

I run two of them with the second one specifically set up for chorus effect when I want it.

donfrantz and Kelly like this.
  10. Zooey

Zooey Member

I think the ADM mode on the DIG is supposed to be like the Deltalabs Effectron, which are not too expensive when you can find them. It's more of a warm wobbly sound to me than the icy 80s chorus.

I heard a podcast where the producer of the Fixx talks about how everyone was trying to emulate Jamie West Oram's sound, but it was actually a combination of many things, including more than one stage of compression. If you don't know the sound I'm talking about, check out the track "Sign of Fire."

Bort likes this.
  11. Bort

Bort Member

Dang that’s great. Do you happen to remember the podcast?

12. Bort

Bort Member

Cool, thanks!

Goldfinger62 likes this.
  13. Pellecaster

Pellecaster Member

Compressor>split off dry> digitech luxe for detune>Delay>boss dc-2w>neunaber inspire>neunaber immerse>stereo wet amps. Gets pretty close to 80’s sounds without going rack.

dirtytony likes this.
  14. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

Yea Detune and a good Analog Chorus will get you there...

prototype likes this.
  15. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Don't forget the original TC Electronic SCF!

JokeSmuggler, James and squishcat like this.
  16. SweetSAAB

SweetSAAB Supporting Member

I just pulled the trigger on one of these today because I'm chasing that Dean Deleo Intelliverb chorus sound. I read the Digitech Hardwire CF-7 does a decent multi chorus but I don't need the other sounds, so I figured this is probably the same algorithm. We shall see, it might end up being a $40 doorstop.

[​IMG]

Tmidiman and fretless like this.
  17. monty

monty Member

Daniel Lanois?

Hawkmoon269 likes this.
  18. scottl

scottl Member

This... Free the Tone Tri Avatar

I have one and it is awesome.

johann and GTone80 like this.
  19. JokeSmuggler

JokeSmuggler Member

+1...This is one of the most underrated mod pedals, I guess because it’s old? Killer tone and you can use it on any instrument as it has an input gain control.

MrKite89 likes this.
  20. MrKite89

MrKite89 Member

Moreover, it is incredibly noise free for such an "old" BBD chorus pedal, but it's pretty quiet even compared to the latest digital pedals! :)

JokeSmuggler likes this.