82 jap squire strat $400????

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 69strat, Feb 18, 2006.

1. 69strat

69strat Member

Are these as good as the regular strat,s ? Is that a good price??? Thanks.

2. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Sounds a little high. I bought an 80's sb Squire Strat in mint condition for $225. I have to admit that the quality is really good. The sunburst finish is excellent and the guitar is lightweight and plays as well as an American Standard Strat.
    Upgrade the pups and other electronics and it's a great guitar.:dude

3. AlexF

AlexF Member

If it really is an 82 Squier Strat grab it as quick as you can, they are really great guitars, and they go for much more than that now. Oh and leave the pups and electrics well alone, they are USA reissue.
    Al

4. johan

johan Member

Great guitars! Buy it if you can.
    An 82 should have an JVxxxxxx serial number (japan vintage)
    Easily as good as an "american vintage" 57 or 62.
    read more here http://www.squierjv.info/index.htm

5. 69strat

69strat Member

Yup. the serial # is jv47801. Thanks for the info. By the way as far as changing out the pups, I,m done with that. If I dont like the way it sounds, I dont buy it. I was just concerned with the price. Thanks for the info guys!

6. johan

johan Member

you like the pickups or not, doesn't matter. it's probably a killer guitar. i have a 62 fiesta red. thanks ville ;)

7. 69strat

69strat Member

Yea, mine is fiesta red also with a rosewood board and a flame maple back. Woooo!!! Who!!! It smokes! Thanks Kev!

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

If it has a JV serial no. then you have yourself a bargain.

I have an '84 and it is amongst the best Strats I've played, great warmth and sustain.
    Peter Stroud has one too, fwiw.

The pups are the same ones they put on the US Strats back then too.

9. fugazi

fugazi Member

BTW, some people get a little touchy at the word "jap". I'm sure you just meant Japanese, but I'm just sayin.

10. 69strat

69strat Member

Do me a favor and save that crap for the politictions!!!! If your looking to be offended, read the new york post. There are plenty of republican dirt bags there for you to interact with!!!! Oh,sorry, I meant Japanese.

11. fugazi

fugazi Member

I didn't say I was offended. Settle down, Beavis.

12. 69strat

69strat Member

I didnt say I was upset!!! BUTHEAD!!!

13. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Jeff Healey played one even after he "made it big" and could have afforded any guitar

14. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I've got 3 Japanese Strats, a Gxxxxxx 57RI, a Gxxxxxx 62RI and a 68RI lefty that is in getting set up right now so I don't have the serial # handy. I love all three of them and my MIM strats to. and my lonely American Vintage, which at 3 times the cost, is an extraordinary instrument. there are some real dogs out there from all the manufactures not just certain facilities. My Les Paul standard Plus needed TWO neck presses to get the twist out and that one cost twice what the MIA Strat cost. But my PRS never had any issues (standard 24) and I stole that for a grand and the seller let me take it and pay over 6 months. So there are plenty of great off shore manufactures out there that aren't using balsa grade mahogany and letting the inch thick finish hold them together. Oh, I should mention that I am a U.A.W. member, have been for 29 yrs. I'm a Republican and I've changed pickups in almost every guitar I've owned, some more than once, and as I write this I remember a FOTO FLAME 62 RI MIJ that I would date my ex-wife to get back. And I wouldn't mind a room full of beautiful Naked women that like me, But,I still can't pass up that amp I might want.
    :YinYang

15. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

16. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

and if anyone can point out a REGULAR STRAT please by all means do so, how is any one supposed to tell the difference between the countless versions???????????????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

17. 69strat

69strat Member

I cleaned the frets and adjusted the neck and found a date of 4-12-83 on the neck. There was no date on the body. The wiring seems a little thin. All in all, I really like the sound.