87 Strat: Recommend me some sweet pickups

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by singing6string, Aug 14, 2008.

1. singing6string

singing6string Supporting Member

I have a 87 strat which plays great but I find the pickups a little harsh & also quite trebly (they are not the lace sensor pickups which were used in some late 80s strat). What would be some good replacement pickups if I decided to go that way? Give me your suggestions, especially any other TGP members who play 87 strats.

2. billygoat

billygoat Member

I have an 88 strat. I have had Duncan ssl-1s. Great pickups, but they sound so much like that SRV sound, that it sounds almost over processed. A weird description, but so real it's fake.

I have settled on Fralin Vintage Hots with a baseplate. Great pickups. Much better than the late 80's strat pickups which were very clinical sounding. Fralins are beefy, and can dial in all of your favourite sounds.

3. wleeds

wleeds Member

I have an 86 American Standard - stock - as my main guitar these days.
    I I have another one with Bill Lawrence L280's and L290 in the bridge. Awesome pickups and great price.

4. Montez

Montez Member

+1 On the Bill Lawrence pups. I have the Keystones. Amazing clarity and definition!

5. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

6. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

My 89 strat has Lace Sensors and I really like them.

7. Laheart

Laheart Member

I switched to Lace Hot Golds on one of my American Strats and it seems that it's the only one I play now. Great chimney definition. Really a beautiful sounding pickup.

8. creamedcorn

creamedcorn Member

CS '69s
    CS '54s
    Bardens

9. bek

bek Member

I have low-output VintageVibe pickups in one Strat and they sound fantastic -- very vintage, reminiscent of Robert Cray and many other real good tones. I also have a guitar with Van Zandts -- Rock in the bridge, Blues in the neck, and an FAS in the middle, and it sounds terrific, but a bit more powerful and modern. Both great, but there are special Deaf-Eddie switch setups in them, too.