'88 Strat Plus rosewood neck refret question

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gang twanger, Jun 16, 2008.

1. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

Maybe some of you can help. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to tech work (the most I've been able to accomplish is installing pickups or adjusting saddle height/radius or intonation). I've got an '88 Fender Strat Plus w/ rosewood fretboard that sounds and plays beautifully, except that a couple of the frets (particularly the 2nd and 3rd) have developed an indentation mark/slot where the G string crosses over them (which makes me think that these are nickle frets). So now I have a nasty buzz on that string whenever I play an A note/chord on the 2nd fret. You get the idea. I also have a buzz up on the 14th, but that may just be an issue of string height rather than fret replacement.
    I don't have it in my budget to have a luthier do a complete refret job, and I've never attempted something like this myself. What I'm wondering is this: Would I be able to replace 1 or 2 frets on my own without ruining a 20 year old guitar that I love? or: How much am I looking at to get 1 or 2 frets replaced professionally (and will they do that, or do I have to commit to refretting the whole neck).
    I want to keep it as inexpensive as possible without doing a hack job. Any help would be awesome.

2. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Take it to a trusted, competent luthier and ask him/her to do a fret dress and crown. He/she will file down the frets a bit to uniform height and recrown them like new. If you've REALLY banged away at the cowboy chords you might only need the first three frets replaced, but I would ask for the crown and dress first.

I recently had a full refret and bone nut done for $180.00, this is the LOW end. Expect to spend $200-250 and be happy if its cheaper.

A fret crown and dress shouldn't run much more than $50.00 and worth every penny, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

3. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

first off, have a great tech look at it. it could just use a level, and you could save a shitload of cash this way. the play of the guitar will change with a fret job. a fret level will only set you back 35-70 bucks. i've had a person do (good job), and the plek system do it (good too, but no soul).

4. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I never really knew what a fret dressing really meant. The indentation on the first couple frets is quite visible. Thats how I recognized the problem. Should I just have a luthier dress and crown the first 2 or 3 frets, or is it really going to make a big difference if I have them all done?

5. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Get them all done. It will make a big difference.