• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

89 Les Paul Question

Gatorplayer

Couple of questions on my Les Paul. I thought that I was asking dumb questions until I spoke to some local guitar shop "experts" who did not seem to have a clue. First, having some tuning problems with the original Gibson Deluxes and would like to replace with possibly a locking tuner. I would like to keep the vintage vibe and do not want to have to to any drilling. Does anyone make a std fit locking tuner (exact fit) for Les Pauls? Also, mine is a 3 piece top. Great sunburst color with a little flame. Is anyone familiar when Gibson started and stopped using 3 piece tops and does it sevely reduce the collectability? I would like to eventually pass it on to my kids.

thanks

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Those are Grover Rotomatics? Then you can use drop in locking Grover Rotomatics that they use now. If they are Schallers, I'm not certain.

3-piece tops are just a known quality of 70's Norlins and are already factored into the value, which is indeed rising and will continue to rise.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Tuning problems aren't likely to be the tuners. Nut is the most likely culprit.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Yes, the tuners are not the issue most likely. Try Nut Sauce.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Qyestions:
How did you date this?
I surmise you probably have Gibson Kluson style tuners? While many tuning problems can be due to nut problems or the angle from the nut to the tuners, Gibson has used vintage style tuners of pretty low quality at times. There are various Kluson type replacements that would be an improvement and probably drop-in replacements.Search Gotoh or perhaps Tonepros Kluson.Could be locking versions available from both, though the locking feature may be more of a convenience when changing strings than a keep it in tune solution.

By '89 most if not all LP Std maple tops except for certain unusual models were 2 piece IIRC. That's why I ask about the date. As far as collector value, I'd expect the pickups to be more of a factor as the circuit board humbuckers(late 80s) have detractors. Keeping in mind the hypothetical nature of your concern, I wouldn't lose much sleep over future value of an '89 or early 80s LP.

Gatorplayer

Thanks for the info. I dated it off the serial number on the back of the headstock per the directions on the Gibson website. I am in Eastern NC and know of a pretty good guitar tech in Raleigh but if anyone has any other referrals let me know. The tuners are the old green knob type that says Gibson deluxe on the bottom. I will have them check out the nut first as no need to replace tuners if I do not have to. Thanks, this guitar has been sitting in it's case for a long time and needs to be played. I am mostly using my 97 strat plus.

Trending Topics