89 usa Jackson Soloist makeover

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 1959burst, Mar 9, 2006.

1. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

this will most likely make jackson purists to puke, but i aquired a 1989 grover jackson era jackson soloist and needed to give it a makeover to help get the tone i needed for my music.........i removed all the pickups and proceeded to put in a seymour duncan jazz in the neck,seymour duncan vintage p-90 in the middle and i rewound a 57 classic gibson paf ri for the bridge..............add a dash of gibson knobs and a gibson truss rod cover with my named engraved...............tell me what you think.........BEFORE [​IMG]

2. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

3. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

4. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

very cool! i like what you did with it. :D

5. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

thank you, it sounds very good, it will now cover blues,jazz,besides rock and metal, sounds very good clean.:BEER

6. sumis

sumis Member

improvement.

7. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

You just made me cry... :eek:

Stormin!

But the pin-up sticker is suhweet! :Devil

8. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

9. 83stratman

83stratman Member

UGGGGG! I think that was a friends guitar as of about 4 months ago. He had to sell it for finacial reasons. That guitar WAS LIKE BRAND NEW, MINT! A pretty rare color for one of these also. I challenge you to find an '89 Soloist with SD cavity route, HSS with out active electronics and in this color. You won't. You have runined a killer collectable guitar that played like god! You could have put a SDS-1 in the mid position and surely there is a single sized hum that would have fit the bill tone wise in the neck position, insted you chose to HACK up a relativly rare, mint condition Jackson. You how people make fun of the old Fenders on ebay that have done silly things to them? Well you can take comfort in knowing that your handy work will produce the same type of reaction in a few years from now if the guitar ever makes its way to ebay. Anther one bites the dust... :FM :BITCH :eek: :( :NUTS

10. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

i bought it to play,but it needed help..............i already own a very large vintage gibson and fender collection................................oh well you can't please everyone.................if you thought that strongly about it you should have bought it.............it sounds 1000x better like this you can actually use it. i do have all the original jackson pickups forsale if you are interested......btw your friend had it wired all wrong when he put in the seymour duncan full shred.:YinYang

11. 83stratman

83stratman Member

Hmm, what was wired wrong?

12. 83stratman

83stratman Member

"...it sounds 1000x better like this you can actually use it."

Here's the thing, you could have reached the same ends with out hacking a collectable guitar.

13. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Very nice, I liked what you've done with the guitar. How do the pickups sound, I've always had this impression that gibson pickups would make anything sound like a les paul...just me, just me.

You make the guitar sound so versatile, jazzy bits, rock, country, some funking stumming...

Very nice, congratulations :)

14. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

hey to me an 89 jackson isn't a collectable guitar............it's a working tool...............this one had to be changed to MY liking, in order for me to use it.:)

15. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

it sounds just amazing! not what you'd expect from a heavy metal shred guitar. all my gibson & fender playing bros love it.............versitile sounds with a floyd rose trem. you could play ANY style music that required an electric guitar, country,blues,jazz,pop.etc it really is an all round great gigging axe............i use it mostly for jazz/rock fusion type music. jackson would sell a ton more axes if they equipted their axes with this type pickup combo.:cool:

16. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Your choice.

But (IMO) that's a way too much hardware to squeeze into the picking zone of a 24 fret guitar.

17. 1959burst

1959burst boogieman

i'm use to playing 3 pickup les paul customs...............i never have a problem picking, i use small dunlop jazz picks and have a light touch.......anyhow your supposed to pick the strings not the pickups below the strings! LOLOLOL

18. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Hey,

Looks good man, really modernized it. That's too bad if it was collectable, but hey who knew? BC Rich is supposed to be collectable too right? :rolleyes:
    If you got it for cheap, then whether it is "Destined to go up in value" or not, it has more worth as a player's guitar IMO which is the route you took. Besides half of those guitars from that era are hacked up anyway. I hacked a few of my own with pickup routes because EVERYONE wanted to be EVH so it just had ONE bridge pickup.
    :jo

Ya know that pinup is so cool, I had to check that guy out. And honestly I'm NOT a pinup type guy! My wife probably objecting aside, you got the coolest one for sure. Too bad he isn't selling that one these days. Not to be a copycat, but there's something special about the expression on that girl's face, and the devil tail clinches it!

VERY cool guitar to take to the gig man.

19. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Dude, you should take a photo of this Jackson sitting in the midst of your vintage Gibsons and Fenders! Come on! ;)

20. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

Wow. Your guitar. But I gotta say that makes me a bit sad...:(