9/15 owners, what 2x12 speakers do you like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sonic Reducer, Apr 19, 2005.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I know master volume likes his with the new Marshall 2061 with g12H30's. Just trying to see what other people like. Is the magic with this amp to play it with the /13 2x12 with blue/g12h30 combo?

2. Lamont

Lamont Member

I have to agree that the 2061 cab which i a have as a well seems to sound the best -I took up a to Fred a similar cab which was an old Marshall jubilee 2-12 which he a really liked and i think he used it to help design his new cab,this one was very similar to the 2061 but it ts bout an 1 1/2" less wide.
    He also made a 2-12 closed back cab, side by a side a modeled after a Vox cab that Rusty Anderson fell in love with.I have yet to hear eather one yet but i bet they sound great .Gee, someone said they played one at Freds ???Hmmmmm lets see ??Maybe it was a LEONC Just don't seem to recall.
    But none the less,the 9/15 sounds a great w/ the 2061 and i looks a real cool w/ it as a well--allmost like it was a made a for it.

3. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Try a G12H30 and a Vintage 30. I normally don't like V30's and only bought this one for an iso cab I'm building. Tried that combination this weekend while a/bing a bunch of speakers and it was a winner. As Big Mike said, Thick, Chewy, and Chimey all at the same time. It wasn't exactly a 2x12 though. It was the h30 in my combo cab and a V30 in a closed back 1x12 cab I built. From the results though, I will definitely be buying or building a 2x12 to have that on hand.

4. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

I have a swanson mini slant 2x12 that's very similar to the new marshall. 24 w x 24 h x 12 d.

I have two greenbacks wired for 16 ohms. I'm going to give them time to break in and then go from there. I didn't know if the key was the two 16 ohm speakers with seperate outputs to the amp.

5. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

That is a combination I have thingking about. Seems G12h30 mixes well. I have Fred's cab with H30 and Blue and Bob Burt Cab with H30 and Greenback (my personal fav) So I have been wanted to try out H30 and V30. Will do in the near future. I am hustling down to studio to plug my 9/15 into 2061 cab, never really considered that combination. DA

6. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

Mike i like the h 30"s in a closed back cabinet with my9/15...someday day in the future i will try out a v 30 and greenback with the h30"s, once your new greenbacks are broken in -should sound-wonderfull!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

7. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

After hearing fred's closed back 2x12 (I offered to buy it on the spot and was politely told no) with the greenbacks in it I swapped the h30's out in my 2061 with a pair of Rola greens.

Yum.

I have a black back 55 hz that I think I will swap out for the bottom though.....

8. guitarcrazy2004

guitarcrazy2004 Member

mastervolume -u have any idea when fred will offer the closed back cab....oh and the jkm17 ..interesting!!!:D

9. KLB

KLB Member

Weber VST is now offering a closed back 2x12 for $250 that is very similar to the 2061cx cab. It measures 26.5"W x 26.6"H x 11"D. This is slightly wider than the 2061 so that a small-box head will fit on top without hanging over the sides. It is .81" less deep. The internal volume should be about the same.

The cab is on the "kits" page at the bottom.

- Ken

10. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

NOW.

You can call him and order it up. He wanted to move the handle on the proto a little but I think that he is takign orders on them.

11. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

Is the /13 2x12 going to be like the mini slant 2x12 that Marshall is selling now? Will he still have the two separate outputs for each speaker?

12. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

nope single input.

It is about the size of the 2061x but the cab is straight and the baffle is angled.

FWIW the baffle in the 2061 is angled as well it doesn't follow the angle of the cab.

13. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

two greenbacks for 16 ohms?

14. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

15. randy morser

randy morser Member

I just played the 2X12 with Greenbacks after playing it for a long time with the Blue and the G12H30. You know what? GREENBACKS ALL THE WAY! Dude. It sounded fantastic. Thicker with my Tele. The Lent'z is super balzy before, but this was GREAT. I loved it.