1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

9-46 Hybrid Strings vs. 9.5 Strings

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mtmartin71, May 24, 2011.

1. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

The other thread on 9s inspired me...and I didn't want to hijack that thread...

You know, I was using 10s on a Strat with the block on the body and it felt just like my Gibsons. I floated the block and the guy removed a few springs and now it's noticeably stiffer to bend. I also use 10s on a PRS DGT and PRS Sunburst 245 and those feel just fine. I use 11s on my Reverend Daredevil but that's tuned down a half step. Point is, they all feel roughly the same except for the Strat and now, a Squire CV Tele I picked up on a trade. I like all my guitars to feel the same as far as bending. I want to be able to play them in any style and bending is what I like to do. I've tried heavier gauges and had to be honest with my self that I just don't have enough play time these days to make them feel comfortable. So, 10s on a Gibson or PRS are "it" for me. However, I'm not liking 10s as much on the Fenders particularly now that I floated the bridge again on my Strat. I do like the heavier bottom and recall not liking the lightness of the 9s in that department. I'm considering one of two options to address this...a 9-46 (light top/heavy bottom) or a 9.5 set to bring that bending feel closer to my Gibsons.

Curious on opinions of those who compared these two approaches for their Fender Strats and Teles and what you liked/disliked about the approach you took.

2. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I think the 9.5's work really well for loosening the feel up without loosing much
    of the fundamental tone of 10's. 9's feel and sound tiny IMO (mostly the high-E, B & G)

3. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

Depends on the brands as well ... I recommend D'Addario 9.5s and Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9 hybrids. IMHO the Ds are actually slinky feeling (for their thickness) and the super slinkys are typically stiff. I used to use both on different guitars, but recently changed to the 9.5s on everything to make life easier.

4. wes37

wes37 Supporting Member

My Suhr M1 came standard with a 9-46 set...I like it. Bends are easy on higher strings with good definition on the lower strings.

5. terrapin

terrapin Member

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

Gave Hybrids a good try but they didn't work for me. Been using 9.5-44 for several years. I only wish someone came out with them forty years ago.

7. mtmartin71

mtmartin71 Silver Supporting Member

Right on. I ordered up the 9.5s based on this trend of feedback. I'll try those first. It sounds like this will give me the bending feel of my Gibsons with 10s. 10s with the PRS scale aren't noticeable to me so I'm thinking 9.5s on Fenders will be better.