9.5 vs 10 radius

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by srslots, Dec 23, 2009.

1. srslots

srslots Member

I am figuring out all of the specs I want on a USACG neck. I am pretty set on the 9.5 radius, as all strats I have every owned had this, and Ive enjoyed it. I am tempted by the 10 inch radius though...is it a noticeable difference?

2. RRfireblade

RRfireblade Member

If it wasn't one I had for years I doubt I would notice the difference.

3. Zero

Zero Member

There is no way you'd notice.

4. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I think that you have to compare the radius in conjunction with the neck size and shape.

I have an old Strat Plus with a 10" radius and a newer Amercan Standard Tele with a 9.5".

I much prefer the 10.

BUT

The Strat neck is a chunkier C shape than the Tele, so that may be influencing my opinion as well.

5. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

There's virtually no difference between a 10" radius and a 9.5" radius in playability. You'll notice a difference between a 9.5 and a 12, or a 12 and a 16, but the difference between a 9.5" and a 10" radius fretboard amounts to perhaps 1/32" in height on the ends of the frets.

6. coldfingaz

coldfingaz Member

Yeah, there's more to the feel than radius alone.

I have:

- Squier Classic Vibe Tele: 9.5" radius, modern C shape with Medium Jumbo frets

- Creston Esquire: 9.5" radius, medium C shape with 6125 frets

- Creston Tele Jr.: 10" radius, medium C shape with 6105 frets

The Tele Jr. is by far the fatest neck. The Squier CV is much thinner than both of the other 2. All of them feel unique... so your mileage may vary, but if you're comparing USACG necks with Fender necks you should also consider the shape/profile of the neck & probably fret size as well.

7. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

No discernible difference that I can tell.

I notice more of a difference between a 1 5/8 vs 1.65 nut width.

8. David Collins

David Collins Member

No, there's no tangible difference. Maybe .002"-.003" difference in the center height relative to the ends, in theory, but the difference would be less than tolerances in most manufacturing, so they are essentially the same thing.

9. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Yup, got to consider neck size/shape as well. To me, flatter boards feel better on a chunkier neck.

10. srslots

srslots Member

This is what I assumed, and actually what USACG told me when I called them up with a couple of questions. I am leaning towards their '63 profile, which is "The '63 - Taken directly from an actual ’63 Strat, it’s a “C” shape that starts out at about an .830 with a .090+ taper."

Probably going with a 9.5 radius since thats what I have always played on, but getting the 6105 frets.