9 Vdc power plugs...help?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by StompBoxBlues, Nov 8, 2005.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Hey guys,

I have to quick questions.

On typical (use Boss or Ibanez..just the standard) power in plug (the one from the power adapter), what is the size of the plug? I have a feeling it is either 2.1 mm or 2.5 mm. Anyone here know?

Second, does ANYone know of a source for those plugs, with a right angle? I'm amazed I can't find them so far, because on a pedaboard it really can cause a lot of wasted space having to allow for that straight plug (it's like an extra unneeded 2" or so out from plug) and can easily be broken off or short after much use.

Anyway, that's the two: What size (and if there is a special name for those style plugs...barrel ?) are the plugs, and does anyone know of a source for right angled ones?

thanks!

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Never mind...I figured it out...in case anyone else would like to know it is:

DC barrel plugs 2.1 mm x 5 mm O.D.

3. TomK

TomK Member

2.1mm x 5.5mm actually for most DC plugs like Boss, Ibanez, Fulltone, whatever. Line 6 and other low voltage AC like Digitech Whammy et al use a 2.5mm center pin diameter.

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

the visual sound onespot has right-angled connectors

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

COOL! Thanks...I was combing the electronics stores online. Many only carry one or two types and no right angle (for some reason, most of the right angle come as molded plugs, with 6 feet of zipcord attached...though, that might be the best way to go, and just buy the RNC type connector on the other end, and make them all the right length for my pedalboard).

Anyway, I'll head on over to their website and see if they sell them seperate.

Thanks!

6. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
  7. Slick51

Slick51 Colonel Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Northwest Corner of NC, 5 mi from MerleFest
    Yes, Mouser part number 171-3215 works fine. I cut my Pedal Power cables in half, then make shorter plugs for my pedalboard using these.

Slick51

8. TBone

TBone Member

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks again guys.

The only thing...the Carl Martin "Big John" (what a terrible name...it's a Danish company an may or may not be aware of the connotations of it to American ears..."Huge crapper" or "Gigantic toilet"...) has the normal ends on the pedal side, but the other side is a different type of connector (I'm not 100% sure what it is) and it also has to go from center positive to center negative on the pedal side. I thought this was weird til I thought about it and realized why they do that. Because of positive was the shell, and they are all (7 outputs) next to each other and a paper clip or something got between two....they'd short out.

Anyway, followup, anyone else that has the Big John, what are the power sup. connecters called?