9 volt bomb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Grainslayer, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

Anybody ever have a battery blow up? I had an few energizer batteries sitting on a window sill and one of them exploded.i herd a loud pop and couldn't figure out what it was.i went to use the sink,looked up/out the window and noticed something all over the window and window sill. It was battery acid.the window is under a deck so no direct sunlight.I'd hate to see what would happen if one of these things let go inside a pedal and you didn't know about it for a while..:omg

2. Dave Fox

Dave Fox Senior Pedalmaker

Never had an explosion, but I got burned once.

When I was 16 I worked in a supermarket and one day I decided it would be a good idea to steal 9V batteries for my pedals. As I walked the isles, I cracked open a few 2-packs of Duracells and threw them in my pocket. While I walked, the batteries started to short against each other and against the change at the bottom of my pocket. They instantly got hotter than hell and it was like I had pieces of burning charcoal in my pocket which I had to endure until I could get to the bathroom. I ended up with a red, burned area on my leg and I still have a little scar.

3. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

They blow up sometimes in smoke detectors. Smoke detectors have ac power backup that sometimes shorts them out.
    They blow up if they are not rechargeable and you put them in a charger.
    If the case is dented, they can leak internally and short out and blow open.
    I had one leak inside of an old pedal that I didn't use for years. Forgot to take the battery out. Goodbye pedal.

4. rhys

rhys Supporting Member

I thought this was the name of a new pedal so I came in. I was already reaching for my credit card.

5. ryandfl

ryandfl Supporting Member

Yeah, good name.

"Fastest battery draining dirt pedal In The World."

6. embrionic

embrionic Supporting Member

yes had a 9v battery sitting idle on a shelf explode... scared the heck out of me! It was interesting to discover that the innards are just 6 1.5 aaa batteries wired together.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  7. Scrat

Scrat Member

I was surprised to discover that a couple of Xotic pedals arrived from the manufacturer with 9v batteries installed, presumably included for testing and not intended for long-term service. I don't know what made me try these pedals without plugging them into an external power supply first - I don't usually do that. I'm glad I did. I don't use batteries, and removed them immediately rather than risk them eventually leaking. I checked the rest of my pedals, and the ones from Xotic were the only ones with batteries.

Nothing wrong with Xotic including the batteries (and I love the pedals), but I'd have preferred some indication of it on the box, pedal housing or documentation.

8. Stratsandaks

Stratsandaks Member

Yes, I had a bad pack of Duracells a few years back. They all eventually exploded in the same way. The one in the picture exploded in a smoke detector outside of my bedroom in the middle of the night, scared the hell out of me.

I was talking to a friend of mine that works for a battery manufacturer, he thinks that the batteries had an internal short that caused them to heat up and eventually pop.

[​IMG]

9. Grainslayer

Grainslayer Member

Well I had no idea they could randomly explode...something to think about for all you guys with pricey/rare pedals.I just run a few simple inexpensive boss & mxr pedals but would be pretty bummed if one was ruined because of this..I'm kinda paranoid about leaving batteries in them now.haha..

10. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

Or if the pedal manufacturer claims they dent the battery on purpose to hold it in place inside the pedal.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1473353&page=34

[​IMG]