• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

90's rock

acguitar84

I liked the 80's a bit better, but in retrospect, the 90's was cool too. Why does it have to be one or the other? I like variety.

mrspag

Why does it seem like great rock bands are a thing of the past? I live in south Florida and there isn't even a regular rock station. Classic rock, but nothing more recent than Nirvana.

Chiba

Platinum Supporting Member
I Mother Earth is one of my favorite bands that seemingly nobody has heard of. They did three great albums but disappeared.

fetchmybeer

Gold Supporting Member
that I Mother Earth song sounds like it was lifted from Stop by Jane's Addiction.

Jane's and shoegaze were the nice departure from hair metal, but I think it retrospect, hair metal's reputation has improved greatly over the years. At least they could actually play their instruments!!

Butterfly

Silver Supporting Member
Great decade. Don't forget RHCP, Black Crowes, REM and Beastie Boys were huge in the 90s as well.

My memory of the 90's was of buying lots of albums that had a handful of good songs and the rest filler. Pearl Jam VS for example; 50% great, 50% absolutely forgettable. Same with Plush by STP. Badmotorfinger by Soundgarden was pretty good though.

I almost never listen to the music I bought from the '90s because the 60/70/80's stuff is so much better.

I remember being annoyed at the time of Nirvana's ascension, because I found them tiresome. And being hugely let down by Metallica's sell out Black Album. So many bands went off the boil in the '90s. Remember the rubbish Megadeth put out after Countdown to Extinction?

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
Really?!?! I think Pearl Jam 10 is awesome top to bottom and should be listened to as such.

Great Shot Pilot

Silver Supporting Member
Really?!?! I think Pearl Jam 10 is awesome top to bottom and should be listened to as such.
Vs. and Vitology certainly had their share of filler, but Ten is a great start to finish rock record. Nevermind is even better.

People love to hate on STP, but for my money, Tiny Music... is as good as it gets as far as a complete 90's rock album.

Then, if you want to get heavier, RATM self titled and Tool's Aenima are also great album experiences.

s2y

I liked the 80's a bit better, but in retrospect, the 90's was cool too. Why does it have to be one or the other? I like variety.
Because musicians like to invent rules, despite hating rules and structure.

les strat

Grunge was great and much needed, but after came a lot of mid-late 90's one and done bands with zero guitar solos, singers with no range, and just plain boring. I was longing for a good guitar solo by the turn of the millennium. Oh yeah, and nu-metal came along :messedup Glad the guitar solo is more prominent once again.

There were a few as mentioned above, but overall, the late 90's - 2004 sucked IMO.

For me, the 90's was about Phish, Gov't Mule, alt-country, rootsy music festivals, etc.

The whole "alternative killed hair metal" thing is moot to me; I wasn't into the mainstream stuff in the 90's anymore than I was in the 80's. :JAM

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
I remember seeing the Outshined video and thinking, "OK Hair bands are done". And I was 13.

Bennihana

Best part of nineties music? Clutch formed. Can't forget Kyuss, Sleep, Melvins, Solace... Etc. I still rate them above most grunge bands and radio rock of the era.

Guitarfool

Because musicians like to invent rules, despite hating rules and structure.

Why does it ALWAYS ALWAYS have to be this era .vs that era?

I loved some of the 80s bands (great players, great riffs and killer all time anthems) and I also absolutely LOVE 90s rock as well! Why does it have to be ok I like this era, therefore I hate this era, why cant you simply enjoy both eras?

Grunge did not 'kill' 80s rock, -- throughout history of music , time and time again we see tastes and peoples perspective change to a degree. Let me ask a question... What killed grunge? It had a similar 'run' as hairmetal (5 years or so) what killed grunge?

Numetal? (which I enjoy a lil as well) lol

s2y

Why does it ALWAYS ALWAYS have to be this era .vs that era?

I loved some of the 80s bands (great players, great riffs and killer all time anthems) and I also absolutely LOVE 90s rock as well! Why does it have to be ok I like this era, therefore I hate this era or this 1 is better, bla bla bla bla
I don't have an answer, but ever since grunge came along, it became popular to hate on anything 80's. I think the simplest answer might be that it was easier to identify with grunge era musicians because they were basically your neighbors and friends.

I grew up listening to metal and guitar solos. One would never look down on an athlete who pushes himself to the limit, yet it was popular to look down on guitarists for trying. I have no answer for that, either. I just thought it was strange. I suppose it goes back to being easier to "relate" to music that wasn't overly difficult.

s2y

What killed grunge? It had a similar 'run' as hairmetal (5 years or so) what killed grunge?

Numetal? (which I enjoy a lil as well) lol
Much like 80's metal, you have your pioneers. By the time record execs figure out that it's going to sell, they begin assembling and producing bands, as well as ramming the genre down the publics' throat. By the time your 3rd generation copy cat bands arrive, like Trixter, it's pretty much over.

I personally didn't enjoy the grunge era when it was popular because my local radio stations basically switched from hair metal to grunge overnight.

Numetal and various hardcore metals seemed to encompass the competition aspect of metal to a bit of an extreme.

Guitarfool

I hear ya s2Y

I just get the 'line in the stand' that people have to draw when it comes to music, **** there is TONZ of variety for all to like --- but it REALLY REALLY comes to life and to a boil when its the 80s vs 90s guys, you see it all the time.. I hear ya on the athlete point, you bring up a good point, I have no issue with 90s guitar players, (I enjoy them as well) you brought up a good comparison of that the 90s guys went opposite and if a athlete did that we would rank on them pretty fast

Lastly I was trying to say that almost every genre of music has a 'lifespan' (for lack of a better term) What genre of music didn't have a 'peak' and or lifespan? I mentioned several examples as well. Numetal had a 5-6 year 'run' after grunge and then that went down in popularity and you had bands like Modest Mouse, The Hives, The strokes, etc,etc and then their popularity went down etc

It has happened time and time again throughout history -- but the "Anti 1980s guys" like to think or run around saying that grunge killed 1980s metal when in fact grunge had almost the same run/timespan as hairmetal and then was *poooof* gone just like the 80s stuff and along came nu-metal

Wash, rinse, repeat

Top Bottom