'90s USA Lone Star Strat -- humbucker change from PG+ to Seth Lover?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stilesg57, Feb 12, 2012.

1. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

Hi all,

I've got a great '97 Lone Star (Lonestar ?) Strat that I've had since '06 and I generally love the thing. I've swore for a long time that I wouldn't change anything on this guitar.

However, I've finally grown tired of the biting ice-picky highs of the Pearly Gates Plus humbucker in the bridge. Rolling the tone control back just doesn't change the sound the way I want it to, and it affects too many other aspects of the tonal palette. Frustrating. The output difference is annoying too when switching around.

For just a quick plug 'n play change, what do you guys think of the Seth Lover trembucker like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seymour-Duncan-TB-55-Seth-Lover-Bridge-Trembucker-White-/400275568057?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item5d324875b9

I've never heard a Seth in a Strat -- or heard of anyone else using one, to be honest -- but I LOVE that bucker in any classic double-bucker style guitar. I think the more subdued underwound PAF sound will match my style and tone goals better, and the output might even out a little better with the Texas Special singles in the middle and neck. Plus, I like the idea of a double-white bucker to match the looks and fly below the radar a bit.

What do you guys think? Anyone done this before?

One more quick question: I've never changed buckers in a Strat before -- is the trembucker spacing OK for the Lonestar fit-wise? I'm not interested in routing the body or cutting the pickguard if it's made just to fit a normal-spacing bucker (it's got that sweet yellow aging thing going on and I don't want to do anything irreversible to it).

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance all.

2. mikey

mikey Member

I don't have experience with Seths but I think it would tame the highs a bit. I have Dimarzio PAFs in the bridges of my Strats. I have replaced the PG+ in one of them and it took a little sting out of it. As far as output it's usually a bit of a compromise, singles and 'buckers don't always play well together. I've gotten usable results experimenting with pickup height and tweaking my guitar volume on the fly.

As far as sizing I don't think the bobbins are any larger on the trembuckers, I believe just the pole spacing is a bit wider. ...Not certain about that, I use standard spaced PUs without issue.

3. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

Good to hear that the DiMarzio PAFs took some of the PG+ sting out. I haven't heard that set in person, but from what I can tell the Seths are even lower output. This bodes well.

Also good to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks the PG+ is harsh in a Strat bridge ;) I know some people love it -- maybe it's my amp setup -- but I've always though it was too sharp & biting.

Thanks for the clarification on the trembuckers, I've never used buckers in a Strat before and these white, coverless Seths only come in trembucker spacing. Good to hear that the bobbin size is the same (so I know they'll fit mod-free).

So, anybody out there used or heard a Seth Lover in the bridge of a Strat? There's gotta be somebody, Duncan is selling them afterall...

4. RCM78

RCM78 Member

Dont discount the regular Pearly Gates. Way different then the +.

5. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

Different enough to justify spending ~$80 on one considering I don't like the PG+?

6. pall_5

pall_5 Member

Have you tried lowering the PG+? I had to lower mine considerably (compared to standard Fender specs for a humbucker) to get it to balance properly with the TS singles and remove the 'ice-pick' treble I was getting.

7. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Yes, give this a try as a last resort. I used to deck the PG+ level with the body wood to get the volumes even and the brightness gone.

=K