91' Fender strat ultra

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by shoptangerine, Jul 16, 2006.

1. shoptangerine

shoptangerine Member

long time lurker, first time post....

first thing-is there no search feature here????

2nd, I bought a fender strat ultra back in 92'...I sucked then but was a 20 yr old kid getting into guitars it was a deal too good to pass up, local shop guy gave it to me for 600 bucks. I never got into playing guitars much, but being old and grey has re-inspired me to play.
    Anyway, I was going to sell this to get a Les Paul, but in playing it the last month, I do like the feel and the sound somewhat. So any experts on these ultra strats? I take it the lace sensors are not popular and the humbucker type pup is not popular on a strat?

And for the biggest lamer question of all (drum roll please) what does the toggle switch (3-way) and the 5 way switch do?

here is a pic of her;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

There are lots of fans of the Strat Plus series, as well as the lace sensors, including me, although there are also "purists" who have different views.
    The same hold true for 'buckers on Strats. I've never owned one, although I do love neck humbuckers on Teles.

I used to have a site for Strat Pluses bookmarked, which told you everything you needed to know. You can Google it, I'm sure. There are aficionados of this model -- Plus and Plus Deluxes and Ultras -- who can tell you everything about years and models. I don't know what you're referring to as "toggle," but the 5-way switch permits "out of phase" or in-between settings that a lot of strat players prefer.

That's a gorgeous quilt on yours, btw. Some Fender collectors believe the "plus" series will realize its true value some day, and that they were the best production Strats Fender made in that time period. Guess time will tell.

3. telemike

telemike Member

I love the Strat Plus/Ultra series. I have a '92 Strat Plus that I just refretted and it goes to every show. The Lace pickups are a big part of the sound but I also think that the roller nut plays a big part in adding a piano-like ring to the sound. Here's a pic of mine, and I'll buy yours if it's up for sale. BTW, the toggle switch on the Ultra is a coil tap for the bridge humbucker.

[​IMG]

4. Unburst

Unburst Member

I had an Ultra like yours in the early 90's too.

The brdge HB is actually two SC Lace sensors running in series.
    Similar to a HB sound but a little thicker.
    If I remember rght, the little toggle turns off one pup i p or down and has both on in the middle.

The bigger switch is a regular pup selector.

5. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I've had a '91 since,..... '91. It's been my main guitar until last year. I've gone back to humbuckers.

I'm keeping my Ultra, but will wire up a new pickguard. I haven't decided on pups yet. Through my Triaxis/2:90 there wasn't a sound I couldn't get from it. Straight into an amp, it's not as happening.

Pickguards are an easy thing to swap, so I'd recommend trying that before you sell. I also believe these are quality instruments.

BTW, there is a search function. Upper right side. "Search this Forum."

6. shoptangerine

shoptangerine Member

Thanks for all the replies...yeah, I think she is pretty nice looking. It seems there were some either different types of roller nuts, or some without?? the pics you cant see so good, but which nut is mine?

7. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    The blue line that starts with "User CP" (below where the thread title is).
    3rd word from the right, "Search".

Click once on "Search", and a window appears that says "Search Forums", "Go" and "Advanced Search" (for full featured searches with options).

NOTE: You can only search on words/terms that are 4 characters/letters in length or greater.

8. dto

dto Member

I loved my '91 Strat Ultra, but that earlier roller nut drove me crazy. I had a lot of tuning stability issues so I ended up selling it. :(

[​IMG]

9. shoptangerine

shoptangerine Member

tone daddy-I was not logged in, hence the no search...got it now ;)

And DTO, thanks for the info, know the possibility of putting in a proper nut to replace my roller nut?

10. shoptangerine

shoptangerine Member

Anyone know what guitar I could replace this ultra with, with same feeling AND build quality (the finish on this is spot on) but with 3 single coils?
    And yes, I am open to Japanese guitars....I think I could get 1200$ tops for it, so what could I replace it with for about that price?

11. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Your ultra is fookin beautiful and I think you'd kick yourself if you sell it. Hell, I'd kick you!

Why not just replace the p/u's with 2 single coils/humbucker or better yet make another drop in ready pickguard wired & loaded with 3 single coils?

12. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I had a Deluxe Strat Plus back in the early 90's which was my first real Strat & it was a damn nice guitar. I didn't really bond with it though and as soon as the SRV sig model was introduced the DSP was traded in on one of those. It was a very solid guitar, the LS's were super quiet & versatile, and I never once had any tuning issues with it. I'd say my only gripe with it other than the LS's lack of character (which I may not mind now) was that it was a bit on the heavy side. It was a natural ash finished (probably northern ash so that's why it was heavy) with a maple neck/board and I'd say it was a good 10lbs or so. Anyway, very solid & nice playing guitar that I still kinda regret selling at times, but had I kept it I likely would have swapped the Lace Sensors for something different.

Personally, I think your best bet would be to swap out the Lace Sensors for something a bit different. Maybe if you give us an idea what kind of tone you're after (type of music you play, players you dig, et cetera) then someone could point you in the right direction. Swapping out the pickups is a much cheaper solution than going for another guitar.

13. shoptangerine

shoptangerine Member

swapping pickups is an option, but this roller nut is a roach, perhaps I can tune it (lube or something)

14. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

Take the nut off (take note of the spacer(s) and their orientation) and soak it in some vmp naphtha, brush it thorougly with a tooth brush and let dry. Squirt some teflon lube in there and you should be good to go. As for selling, I sold my '89 about 4 years ago and have kicked myself ever since. I recently added a set of lace sensors to my MIM strat and there is no comparison to the sound of my '89. Too bad.

15. shoptangerine

shoptangerine Member

I just need to find vmp naphtha...
    otherwise, thanks for the tips, shall try it.

16. larrylover

larrylover Member

I have an early 90s Deluxe Strat Plus (like yours, but the bridge pickup was a lace sensor red). I never liked the sound of the guitar, so about 2 years ago I replaced the pickguard with new electronics (Alessandro pots, cloth wiring, the cap I'll get to) and Rolph single coil pickups. The tech who put together and installed these new guts had a bunch of NOS and other caps and allowed me to audition a bunch and select the one I liked best.

The strat does not sound like a classic strat -- I suspect it is the nut. But it plays great and sounds one hell of a lot better (to my ears), particularly at volume. The bridge pickup sounds 1,000 times better. Moral of this story: If you are not happy with what you have, it can be adjusted without too much hassle or money.

17. shoptangerine

shoptangerine Member

Larrylover, did yours have the wilkinson nut like mine? or the other one (I think it is called lsr roller nut)?
    Thanks

18. jaimo

jaimo Member

91 Strat Ultra Owner here also. Crimson burst. Bought for those difficult ground loop/neon beer sign gigs. Put some Lace Hot Golds in the neck and mid position. Much, much better. Sounds great when clean or cranked.

Now, if that bastard tech hadn't put a hairline crack in the neck two years ago, I would still be using it for those gigs. Still looking for a replacement neck.
    I do ALL of my tech work now. ALL of it.

19. gbdweller

gbdweller Member

Any harware, paint store, Home Depot etc will carry it. It is basically Zippo fluid only much cheaper by the ounce because of the Zippo name. Great for cleaning fingerboard grime (be sure to re-oil with fingerboard oil) and many other things. Takes black scuff marks off floors, removes sticker adhesive residue and is safe for most, if not all cured finishes.

20. muddy

muddy Member

here's mine wif da wagner sr's:

[​IMG]

ml