920D Custom Fender Strat Eric Clapton

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by vrdyer, May 9, 2015.

1. vrdyer

vrdyer Silver Supporting Member

Seems these guitars are only available from Sigler Music. Can't find out much about them - specifications wise. Anyone have the lowdown on these guitars or 920D Custom Fender Strat Eric Clapton?

2. InkStained

InkStained Member

3. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

Some of them do have the Gold Lace Sensors:

http://www.siglermusiconline.com/pr...on-lace-sensor-gold-vintage-tuners-25db-boost

The 920d Custom Shop is part of Sigler Music. They take Standard MIM Stratocasters and swap pickups, tuners, etc. The specs are the same as a regular MIM Standard. They put vintage tuners on the Clapton version and the 25db mid boost circuit. They are available with a few different pickups as well.

4. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

I'll throw in that their workmanship is top notch.
    They are kind of a mod custom shop.
    The few things I've ordered from them were realistically priced, timely and spot on.
    You could do far worse than deal with Sigler and their 920d Custom Shop.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  5. kccheers

kccheers Member

I ordered a guitar from them this week. Beside what you see advertised, like on their Reverb shop, you can get a MIM start modded to your liking for a reasonable price. Looking forward to my order: New Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat ( Big Headstock ), CAR, Maple Neck, Pearloid PG, Fender Vintage Noiseless pups , Clapton Midboost, Fender Locking Tuners, Straplocks....

6. moosewayne

moosewayne Member

Keep us posted, kc.
    Sounds like a damn fine Strat is headed your way!

7. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Given that they are almost certainly not authorized to market them as Eric Clapton Stratocasters, I would be weary. They'll probably receive cease and desist orders and/or be sued before too long. Same for their Brent Mason Tele's.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  8. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Supporting Member

I tend to agree, but it doesn't call it a Clapton Strat as much as it actually says (depending on the page, they're not great with consistency) "Eric Clapton Boost", which it does have installed.

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

They say in the ad copy that the guitar is a MIM Standard and this one is either Inca silver or pewter, neither of which are MIM Std. colors. This makes me suspect that Fender is well aware of their modifications.

Acme Guitar Works in Florida (no longer in business) used to modify MIM Fenders, too, and never had an issue.

I do wonder if the mods affect the Fender warranty.

10. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

Yeah, differing language in different places (eBay, their own site, Rakuten, etc.) In any case, even the use of the name "Eric Clapton Boost" could get them into legal trouble. (Note that even if you buy the boost "kit" from Fender, it's not even called the Eric Clapton boost.) More generally, though, while it's pretty darn easy for people on TGP to figure this out, some of the ways that they title their products sure seem to be meant to fool less experienced buyers into thinking the guitars are somehow related to the Fender Custom Shop. Pretty shady, if you ask me. It would not be difficult to state what the products actually are: "Standard Fender Stratocaster modified with X pickups," or what not.

Another example: the "920D Fender Modified Standard Strat Stratocaster Guitar." A reasonable person could certainly conclude that "Fender Modified" means modified by Fender. No real excuse for the confusing language, IMO, and almost definitely done intentionally.

11. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

There's nothing wrong with selling modified MIM Fenders if you don't use misleading and/or nondescript language to do so or use people's names to sell your products when you don't have the rights to do so. The model you linked to is rather atypical in that it says that it is an MIM strat. Most of their descriptions don't say.

There's about a 0.1% chance that Fender would be down with this:

[​IMG]

As for the warranty, I would say there's a 99% chance that it no longer applies.

12. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Also, the MIM Std. comes with die cast tuners and the two guitars linked in this thread show vintage style tuners. Will vintage tuners cover the two holes that Fender die cast tuners use for mounting?

Too many questions on these.