'94 JCM900 100w dual reverb..good cab to match w it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by quadrogong, Feb 18, 2015.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

I know these heads get some flogging in these forums,
    I took one in a trade and want to find a 4x12 cabinet for fairly low volume playing that'll match well.
    Can I get a low wattage speaker in there like greenbacks or similar ones?
    They're usually matched with bigger wattage speakers

I'm definitely never diming it ever, I keep my 100wt heads low,always..
    what would give me a nice low volume overdrive ?
    I'm thinking of getting a hotplate or something like that but want to start with a good, warm sounding cabinet w the right speakers?
    I play lower gain to medium gain rock n stuff

2. cardinal

cardinal Member

Something with G12M type speakers (EVH 4x12s are reasonably easy to find and fairly affordable) or G12-65 speakers (really only old JMP/JCM 800 cabs, so harder to find) would get my vote.

3. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

Really anything but GT-75's. It's becoming a known fact that those speakers were normally paired with the 900's from the factory and contributed to those amps getting a bad rep. Not quiet but V30's are a good choice. Also the CL80. Both add low end which the 900 lacks somewhat.

4. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I've got a 900 and I think they do get a bad rap.. I love mine, its great. I have a Marshall 8412 cab. Its a discontinued made in England model and a small sized 4x12. Gigging musicians love them b/c they are easier to move around than the standard size cabs and you can lift them with 1 arm.G12L's are the stock speakers I think.. Mine sounds effing great. I was using a carvin cab before that and this is way better. Sounds great at medium gain too.

5. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

A friend of mine played his through a Carvin cab that sounded good, but I don't know whether it was a model that had the Carvin-labeled Eminence speakers or one that had Celestions.

6. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

Easy......

W/ Greenbacks if you can

[​IMG]

7. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Mine had the USA Eminence speakers, it sounded good with the head I was using before the 900, but the 8412 with Celestions sounds way bigger. Others experience may vary : )

8. demea26

demea26 Member

My 100 watt JCM900's (had 2 of them over the years) always sounded better with V30's. To my ears at least.

9. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

thank u Gemini. the person I'm dealin with now has a 1960A cabinet with Celestion G-12 75's in it. is that the "bad rep" speakers?
    I'm getting tons of offers in trade, so I'd like to pick a cabinet that'll warm the head up as much as I can, I never get to crank the 100 wt heads and I've never tried a hot plate,other players tell me they suck tone, then I see lots of working pros, colleagues of mine using them all the time..
    to be honest, I like a 50 watt head and something like greenbacks or similar speakers but this deal is all in trade, so I may wind up waiting for the right gear and using this for now..until i can trade up.
    i'm trying to get something that'll do the job, give me a good,basic classic rock n roll crunch w plenty of body and soul to the tone..

10. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

My recommendation? since its 100 watts you need some major power there. Either the British made Marshall 1960A loaded with Celestion "Vintage 30's, or an Avatar "vintage" 4X12 loaded with their "hellatone" 60's [which are just 4 broken in Celestion vintage 30's].

11. Mesa

Mesa Member

I run my 900 through mesa recto cabs with vintage 30's and it sounds great!

12. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

People are recommending some nice speakers here..V30's Greenbacks and the H-30. Really anything but the 75's, unless you want a scooped, raspy tone.

13. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

Thanks the cabs I'm offered all have the 75's except one guy ,
    so u guys may have red yes me from a life in raspy-vile

14. custom53

custom53 Member

15. lameburger

lameburger Member

Any V30 cab. Mesa, Orange, Marshall V series.

16. quadrogong

quadrogong Member

I found a fellow with a 4x12 Marshall cab with 2 Greenbacks and 2 Celestian heritage h12 in it
    I'm guessing this should match a little better with my JCM900, hopefully I can work out a deal with him.

I discovered the Hi/Lo "power level output" switch in the back,
    perhaps the "low" mode will help me w better saturation at lower volume playing,
    I've been told that hot plates suck tone..and I like to keep stuff simple anyway.
    if not, I can always swap it for a 50 wt head later on, i guess..

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015