95 Fernandes origin question.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by wetordry, Apr 30, 2015.

1. wetordry

wetordry Member

Picked up a few days ago for 110 out the door. 5 strings and missing the tremolo arm. Picture is making the grain show a little more than actual, where to me it has that kind of creamy basswood look. Maybe some kind of reissue type paint job fashioned after a '57? Truss adjustment is under the pickguard. No skunk stripe.

The neck is marked LE-X with a 95xxxxxx serial. Assume that's 95.
    Pickups have a large rectangle bar on the backside. Crappy 5 position that clicks so hard the pickguard booms. No name sealed turners that seem fine. Tremolo was decked, now it floats, yada...yada.

So overall it plays really nice, wide thin neck, and sounds ok but I want to make some changes, some not reversible, plus a bridge pickup like maybe a virtual solo.

Here's the rub....in the neck pocket was a shim cut from a Fernandes business card, marked California. Guitar does not say Japan anywhere...and before I do something I can't undo, I'd be curious where it was made. Japan, elsewhere in Asia, or maybe set up/assembled in Cali from Asian parts? Have been googling for a couple days and still clueless for definitive answer as to Japan, or why it would/might have been set up in Cali.

Any info regarding manufacturing origin of 95 models or other would be helpful and appreciated.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  2. wetordry

wetordry Member

Weekend bump for any info.

3. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

"X" series were Taiwan and China, as I recall.

4. wetordry

wetordry Member

That would not surprise me. Neck and pocket markings(serial and LE-X) are marked identical to this, as well as the neck plate.... https://reverb.com/item/364933-fernandes-57-reissue-stratocaster-1995-black Same jigging holes in the neck pocket as well.

But everything I find reading threads across various forums, is a pretty much universal glomming onto a MIJ thing. Have only seen other countries mentioned a few times but with no year groupings....at least up until recent.
    Plays excellent, not sure how low the action will go cause it's already down lower than I care for.
    Pickups sound much better than my first impressions....new strings threw me a little.

Always wanted a strat with a tele styled neck....guess this is it.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  5. stratoskier

stratoskier Member

If you haven't already, you should hunt around on the Japanaxe.com forum. There used to be lots of good Fernandes information there, but I'm not sure if it's still up and running.

http://forum.japanaxe.com/phpBB3/index.php

6. wetordry

wetordry Member

Thanks, I've been reading thru the 5 pages of that Fernandes section since I got the guitar(before actually while I was deciding to buy or not been hanging in the junk store over a year with a 200 dollar sticker). When it dropped to 120 I got curious about buying it...
    Going by the general consensus there, that I can sort out, LE-X models would be japanese and anything mid 90's would be as well.

The paint, no skunk stripe, string tree, no truss plug at the headstock etc lead me to think it's some version of a 57/62 reissue. Getting away from my Fender bias, while setting it up and trying to judge it as a guitar(after seeing it hang for a year with 5 strings, grunge and possibly that headstock bias)...the thing is actually a real player with no faults that I can find.

[​IMG]