95 Gibson LP studio - should it have a rosewood board?

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I have one of these guitars, my understanding was that in this period they had lower grade ebony boards. Mine appears to be a dark Rosewood. Anybody know this? Also the neck seems to be probably mahogany, judging by the color inside the truss rod cavity - I thought they were maple then. Maybe Rastus is handy?

ED_P

Silver Supporting Member
I have a late 90's studio with a rosewood board, and thought somewhere in that timeframe that there were some years with Alpine white studios that appeared to me to have ebony fingerboards. I'm sure someone with a clearer memory of 95 studios will be along and much more helpful shortly.

Last edited:

BeardoCI

White Studios got ebony, black/wine red got rosewood. From my memory of buying a white one around the time, anyway!

Last

I believe BeardoCI is correct. If memory serves white will have ebony from that period.

As for quality of the ebony, I've never heard anything about lesser quality during that period.

Hopefully someone else wil know for certain.

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
I recently (sold it today) had a black '93 Studio and it definitely had an ebony fretboard.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, sounds like they transitioned to rosewood on the black (like mine) and wine Studios between '93 and '95. Pickups should be the 490R and 498T? My guitar looks exactly like the one Gregor Hilden plays in the YouTube vid. Just played it in my niece's wedding yesterday (mostly cause the color blended in nicely) and thought it sounded nice. It was interesting - I played through an Ethos direct to a small board and into a couple of the Bose "sticks" supplemented by a QSC powered sub. I'm curious to hear what the video ends up sounding like.

John(aka: Moby Dick)

Silver Supporting Member
Studios from '90-'93 had ebony fingerboards.
The switch to rosewood was '94 except for the white studio which still had ebony fingerboards.

Although the majority of all studios from '94 onward had rosewood fingerboards, there are some that did get ebony.
Probably dependent on supply at the time.

Trending Topics