1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

'98 American Deluxe (Nashville?) Telecaster - Anyone familiar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FireBottle, Jul 13, 2008.

1. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

I'm more of a strat player but I picked up a tele a couple of years ago that I was recently considering selling until I started spending more time with it...it has three pick-ups (Fender Noiseless) and a mini toggle switch between the volume/tone controls that allows for a wide variety of tones...beautiful crimson transparent finish, rosewood board w/ abalone dots...comfort carved back (like a strat) - a real head turner. The 7.25 necks on teles never thrilled me since I like to dig in and bend a lot which is one of the reasons I don't play it that much. Anyway, I'm now considering keeping it and trying out some different pick-ups...might also have the frets 'skunk-striped' to flatten the radius out. I believe they only made this model in '98/'99. I've looked around online just to find out what a fair selling price would be and I've had a real hard time finding any. Does anyone out there know much about this particular Tele model? As I said, I'm not a huge Tele afficionado and I don't know if I've got something really special here, but I'm definitely taking more of a liking to its versatility.

2. sears

sears Member

I bet the radius is 9.5. My 1997 tele plus is. Mine had Lace Sensors and I ended up putting a Bill Lawrence 280 in the bridge, keeping the GLS neck, ditching the middle pickup and wiring it like a normal tele. Every one I've tried is a really fine instrument.

3. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

Thanks Sears. I almost bought a Lindy Blues Special off of a Forum member to pop into the middle position...if I can track him down maybe I'll see if he still has it. Also thinking about trying out a Seymour Duncan lil '59 for the bridge just to see how that would sound...

4. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

These were a very short run. At a time when a lot of the repair gurus were routing Teles for middle pickups, Fender decided to do it too. Then about a year later they decided that the Tele guys were too traditional and went back to two pickups. Dumb, as I felt it was one of their best offerings ever. One of my best friends has the exact same axe, and it's still his number one after all these years.-Eric

5. sears

sears Member

It has a mini-pool route and not a strat-style underneath.

6. tastylicks

tastylicks Supporting Member

I bought one brand new in 1998 and just recently sold it. Very nice axe, solid neck and well put-together. It was my main solid body for almost 10 years. I always thought it was a great guitar if you could only have one, since you can get a variety of tones, including very respectable strat-quack tones.

The radius is 7.25". Mine had a medium thin U-shaped neck. After a while I soured on the original pickups and installed Fralin Blues Specials, including a Fralin Strat Blues Special pickup in the middle position. After that the guitar was a real monster. FWIW I sold it for just under $1100 on ebay a couple of months ago.

You may have been referring to me in your previous post since I did recently put the pickups up for sale after selling the guitar with the originals in it. I sold off the tele set, but still have the strat middle pup. PM me if you're interested.