'98 American Deluxe (Nashville?) Telecaster - Anyone familiar?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by FireBottle, Jul 13, 2008.

1. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

I'm more of a strat player but I picked up a tele a couple of years ago that I was recently considering selling until I started spending more time with it...it has three pick-ups (Fender Noiseless) and a mini toggle switch between the volume/tone controls that allows for a wide variety of tones...beautiful crimson transparent finish, rosewood board w/ abalone dots...comfort carved back (like a strat) - a real head turner. The 7.25 necks on teles never thrilled me since I like to dig in and bend a lot which is one of the reasons I don't play it that much. Anyway, I'm now considering keeping it and trying out some different pick-ups...might also have the frets 'skunk-striped' to flatten the radius out. I believe they only made this model in '98/'99. I've looked around online just to find out what a fair selling price would be and I've had a real hard time finding any. Does anyone out there know much about this particular Tele model? As I said, I'm not a huge Tele afficionado and I don't know if I've got something really special here, but I'm definitely taking more of a liking to its versatility.

2. sears

sears Member

I bet the radius is 9.5. My 1997 tele plus is. Mine had Lace Sensors and I ended up putting a Bill Lawrence 280 in the bridge, keeping the GLS neck, ditching the middle pickup and wiring it like a normal tele. Every one I've tried is a really fine instrument.

3. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

Thanks Sears. I almost bought a Lindy Blues Special off of a Forum member to pop into the middle position...if I can track him down maybe I'll see if he still has it. Also thinking about trying out a Seymour Duncan lil '59 for the bridge just to see how that would sound...

4. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

These were a very short run. At a time when a lot of the repair gurus were routing Teles for middle pickups, Fender decided to do it too. Then about a year later they decided that the Tele guys were too traditional and went back to two pickups. Dumb, as I felt it was one of their best offerings ever. One of my best friends has the exact same axe, and it's still his number one after all these years.-Eric

5. sears

sears Member

It has a mini-pool route and not a strat-style underneath.

6. tastylicks

tastylicks Supporting Member

I bought one brand new in 1998 and just recently sold it. Very nice axe, solid neck and well put-together. It was my main solid body for almost 10 years. I always thought it was a great guitar if you could only have one, since you can get a variety of tones, including very respectable strat-quack tones.

The radius is 7.25". Mine had a medium thin U-shaped neck. After a while I soured on the original pickups and installed Fralin Blues Specials, including a Fralin Strat Blues Special pickup in the middle position. After that the guitar was a real monster. FWIW I sold it for just under $1100 on ebay a couple of months ago.

You may have been referring to me in your previous post since I did recently put the pickups up for sale after selling the guitar with the originals in it. I sold off the tele set, but still have the strat middle pup. PM me if you're interested.