9th fret buzz

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by ironpyro, Jul 8, 2008.

1. ironpyro

ironpyro Member

I just changed the strings on my 79 iceman and suddenly the 9th fret on the G string is crapping out on me.

It will make a buzzy note if I push as hard as I can. But normal fretting pressure only frets out completely (or notes the 10th fret if I raise the bridge real high).

I've tried adjusting the bridge height and truss rod in both directions with no avail.

There is a small amount of fretware under the g string on the 9th fret, but really not much more than the rest of the fret. And nothing seems abnormal about the 10th fret. All the frets are still in really good overall condition. The 9th fret g string will sound normally if I give it a full bend.

2. David Collins

David Collins Member

Sounds to me like you need a fret dress.

3. ironpyro

ironpyro Member

lame. I don't think there's anybody within a 100 mile radius of here that I would trust to do it either. I am going to a guitar show this weekend though. I'll take her with me and see if someone there is up to the task.

4. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

If this happened just after changing strings you may have a defective set of strings or defective G string.

This has happened to me in the past.

Try another set.