9v and 18v

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by EndorphinMachine, Feb 12, 2015.

1. EndorphinMachine

EndorphinMachine Member

Just received my KTR , and I'm needing to use a 9v supply to it, however the only spare from my power block is an 18v .
    Is it just a case of swapping the 18v to one of my other pedals (eg Boss tremolo or MI Audio Boy Boy deluxe)? Or is that a sure fire way to fry those pedals?

Or is the safest way to just daisy chain a 9V extension onto an existing one?

Thanks, EM

2. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

18V will fry your KTR or your Boss and I'm not sure about the Audio Boy Deluxe (<edit> I just checked, it'll fry the Boy Deluxe too. ;) ). Just daisy chain an existing 9V or get a Y-cable and tap a 9V. I'd Y a 9V cable and have the KTR and the MI Boy Deluxe share it. Neither draws much current...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  3. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

^This. I just repaired a KTR someone supplied 18 volts to.

4. EndorphinMachine

EndorphinMachine Member

Thanks guys, i appreciate it!

5. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

You'd think people would know by now that the KTR and the original Klon (and good Klones) have a charge pump inside that bumps the voltage up, so you don't need to give it more juice, it does it itself. :D I'm glad Endorphin was smart enough to ask first. Good on you, mate and welcome to TGP. :aok

6. Alchemy Audio

Alchemy Audio Silver Supporting Member

Meh. It happens. I've mistakenly grabbed the wrong cable from my Voodoo Lab Pedal Power on the workbench. At least the KTR has a protection diode which makes it a somewhat simple fix.