a 10" and a 12" in one cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 909one, Mar 12, 2008.

1. 909one

909one Member

2. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Yes, I have a solid pine. open-backed 12/10 combo with a Celestion Blue and a Weber Silver 10" speaker. I love it. It's lighter than a 2X12 yet I still get some thump from the 12 and focus from the 10".

3. patocaster

patocaster Member

4. davess23

davess23 Member

I played one once, maybe a Juke or a Louis Electric, that had such a combination. Very nice.

5. bosstone

bosstone Member

It has taken me many years to find the speakers and cab combinations using in all cases, the same size speaker (not always the same model). I think you are in for a lot of experimentation but that is half the fun. If you stick with it I am sure you will find something you like. You will probably be in for some surprises though...different frequencies and efficiencies are just the start.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks! This reminds me I planned on doing just that to my cab.

A few years back I bought a Carvin 2 x 12" cab. I got a deal on two 10" speakers, and had found a place, I can't remember the name, that made a "hole reducer" dealy...it was a template kinda thing that used the 12" speakers' holes, and has it's own mounting holes for a 10", and reduced the hole to 10" size. Worked great, was very easy to set in and is completely reversible.

At first I liked the two 10's, but I felt it was missing something..."thump" I guess. Your thread reminded me, since I also now have a Marshall 1922, that between the two I can make to of the kind you mention and see how that sounds.

The 10" pushes a little less air, but also I think the speaker sensitivity is MORE important and maybe I can even that out (or maybe I shouldn't...it might be just right of a mix) etc.

Thanks for reminding me!!

7. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Been using my 1210 KJL Clubowner cab, with many different heads, for years and have yet to hear anything better for the Strat tone I like. Then I built a tweed circuit based combo amp around a 12/10 configuration, with Jensen Neo's, and I really like what I hear:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  8. 909one

909one Member

Thanks for the responses, last night I tried hooking up a 1x12 and a 1x10 cabinet in parallel to the amp. It sounded pretty cool.

Now to figure out what speakers to get... argghhh!!!

9. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

Add-A-Baffle?

I'm about to get one for my 2 x 12 Mesa half-half stack cab (or whatever that model cab was with the metal grill from back in the late 80's early 90's). I'm putting a 10" in the top open-back section and will keep a 12" in the closed back bottom.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

That's the one. They had quick delivery, and it worked well.

11. Bluewail

Bluewail Tone curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

I have a 12x10 tweed open back cab and for giggles mounted an EVM 12L and a EV (Force?) 10 from my Super Champ in the cab. It's freakin' awesome - and freakin' heavy!!. In a lot of ways, other than the weight, I think it's a great combo of a big cab sound with the punch of a smaller one. I don't own a head currently but when I used to have an MusicMan RD50 head, I'd run it into that cab loaded with an Eminence RWB and Rajin Cajun and It sounded great with that combo as well. I'm surprised we don't see more 12x10's around.

12. jb1984

jb1984 Member

what about a 15" and 10" in the same cab? a buddy and i are always discussing how this would be the ideal speaker rig for our old fender amps. well, a 15" and 2x10, maybe.

13. davebc

davebc Member

I was so floored by my Louis Electric KR12, that Lou suggested building me a KR10-12,
    a 10 and 12 in the same open back cab. It's such an incredible combination I'm surprized someone didn't come up with it sooner, or that players seldom consider it. When Lou first suggested it even I was a little skeptical,
    "really?, hmm? Are you sure?"
    But, it covers the entire frequency range, and the speakers complement one another perfectly. Let's face it, 12's do something 10's can't do, and 10's do something 12's can't do. Why not run them both? That configuration also brings out the best inherent qualities from different guitars as well, Fenders and Gibbys in my case.
    Lou loaded mine with a Hellatone 12 and a Celestion 10 at 8 ohms and it's been getting all my playing time. :BEER

14. 909one

909one Member

You guys have definitely convinced me to try the 10/12 combo.

15. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I have an Alpha and Omega David 12/10 combo. It's my favorite amp out of my 4 (Savage Macht 12x, Boogie Single-Recto, Rivera Hundred Duo 12).

16. Stratosphere

Stratosphere Member

I like this idea as well especially if you're running a couple amps. It's bound to offer some different flavors from a cab a couple 12s and cover all the frequencies you might use.

Not that there's anything wrong with a 10 - 12 combination. :)

17. davebc

davebc Member

The fat creamy mids from the 12, and the crisp honk of a 10.
    It just may not get any better in a combo!

18. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

19. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

rob at trutone made me a 1210 custom cabinet that is fantastic. it is quite a bit smaller than his 2x12 and has the valance. the only pic i have of it cuts it off considerably. it is the cab on the right. i think you get the idea.
    [​IMG]

20. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

VHT used to make a 2x10/1x12 cabinet that was fantastic sounding.