A '58 Flying V conundrum... thoughts required from the collective....

jdel77

I seem to enjoy casting potential situations amongst the brains trust here :)

Here's the dealio.
Want '58 Korina style Flying V

Option 1 - Mint '77 Fujigen Ibanez Rocket Roll Sr. Original case and tags. Super 70's. Sen ash.
$2500 and it's interstate.

Option 2 - Good condition '77 Greco FV900. Again, Fujigen. Dry Z's. Sen ash. One non original tuner. It's local. Played it, loved it. $1650 or so

Option 3 - I order a Precision guitar Kits '58 V and put it together. Korina. Top quality, Phil's stuff rules. $1200 - $1500 or so

Option 4 - '98 Korean Epi V. 2 piece body. Top and sides have faded differently to each other. Cheap and cheerful at $400

What say ye?

Corinthian

Depends what you want it for. If you're not a collector then why care about the original case and tags (and their respective price premium) of the Ibanez? If you're serious about playing it then why go for the cheap and cheerful option?

That leaves the other two; one you have "played and loved" and one that's a bit of a crapshoot (no experience with Precision Guitar Kits so not a comment on their quality, just that it hasn't even been built yet so hard to evaluate what it will be like). Seems like an obvious choice to me.

TattooedCarrot

Silver Supporting Member
Being the owner of a Rock-N-Roll Relics Sixty One that's just insanely good, I'm liking the Precision Kit idea. But I'm unfamiliar with the Greco first hand and sadly I can't build a kit myself, but I know they're decent stuff. The Epiphone isn't bad but IMO doesn't really do it for me.

Or you could compromise with a V98.

AaeCee

Silver Supporting Member
The collector in me says #1, and from what I've seen from other Ibanez of that era, the quality is likely top notch. I'd like it a lot better for around $500 less however.

jdel77

I like this logic. Thanks!

Depends what you want it for. If you're not a collector then why care about the original case and tags (and their respective price premium) of the Ibanez? If you're serious about playing it then why go for the cheap and cheerful option?

That leaves the other two; one you have "played and loved" and one that's a bit of a crapshoot (no experience with Precision Guitar Kits so not a comment on their quality, just that it hasn't even been built yet so hard to evaluate what it will be like). Seems like an obvious choice to me.

jdel77

Thought about a V98 but I really want that lighter timber and the V back plate.
I'll msg Phil and see what postage would be to Australia.

Being the owner of a Rock-N-Roll Relics Sixty One that's just insanely good, I'm liking the Precision Kit idea. But I'm unfamiliar with the Greco first hand and sadly I can't build a kit myself, but I know they're decent stuff. The Epiphone isn't bad but IMO doesn't really do it for me.

Or you could compromise with a V98.

Smakutus

The one you loved...
Yeah.. If it's still for sale talk them down on the price a bit and buy it.

You could also try and find a Hamer Korina V from the 90's? Not sure what they are going for but they were real nice guitars.

Jeff

jdel77

It would be a lot of fun.
I'll get a quote for it, but I'm up to the equivalent of $1200 in Australian dollars before shipping, hardware and electronics.
For that money I'm predisposed towards the Greco.

I'd go for the kit!

Green Pro Am

Gold Supporting Member
For the money you are spending on options 1 through 3, I'd look for a used USA Hamer. You may have to wait it out, but they are out there.

bluegrif

Yeah, I'd definitely go for the Greco. Fine quality and if you played it and was impressed, seems like a no-brainer.

Jonny G

The one you loved...
The correct answer - with same conculsion as per Corinthian. Plus, you're in Oz, not the US, so you simply dont have the choice available. (Im in Europe so feel the same pain :() If you played it and loved it, and plan to use it a lot, then grab it. If you don't you may end up kicking yourself.

Trending Topics