A $950 IEC Power Cord!

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by SRQGuitar, Sep 13, 2018.

1. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

I used to , but now I just play guitar ....

2. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Supporting Member

Audiophiles and audiofools. There's a difference.

3. feet

feet Supporting Member

when we were about twelve, my brother rigged something similar out of an extension cord and a wire hanger and set it on the inside of the front door knob and waited for my sister to come home.

She lived.

art_z likes this.
  4. teofilrocks

teofilrocks Supporting Member

In my experience, not that much.

5. 2016aug29

So you've been around the wrong folks, then.

Stu Cats and fishleehooker like this.
  6. mikey69

mikey69 Member

too bad the socket you plug into is wired up with Romex that cost 47 cents a foot

art_z and JPH118 like this.
  7. captwillard

captwillard Member

Have you read the posts here? Gear heads making fun of audiophiles...pot - kettle - black.

mcp and fishleehooker like this.
  8. jens5

jens5 Silver Supporting Member

It's the one you plug into your Dumble.

9. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

I do not think it's necessary, I know it's not necessary... but it's probably a great chord. The issue to me is----.................. then there's the outlet, maybe a real power conditioner, a great integrated or separates, a great "player" (cd or vinyl), great interconnects, speaker cables, and great original media and great speakers........... blah, blah, blah. The good news is you can get very close for quite cheap. I would put my system, right now, with CD, up there with almost any in western MA. Most of the credit has to go to my new to me Boston Acoustics VR-M90 speakers.
    Also using a Pioneer Spec 1 preamp, a Musical Fidelity A3.2 amp, a Marantz OSE6000 CD player..... I do have a thick power cable that was hand built but cost me 100. The whole system was bought used, hundreds versus thousands, sounds absolutely incredible. But I am having vinyl issues with a Grace cartridge on a Harmon Kardon T65. Too much noise and BS... I have seriously thought that it might be the cheap wall outlet the electrician put in, or the needle on the Grace is slightly bent, very annoying whatever it is. I use pretty basic interconnects all around, maybe a Pangea is the best I have. I've heard great music from older vintage gear and the interconnects are super thin, lol, still sounds good and in the end, use your ears. It is good though to hear a really good system to have something to compare it to. I'm guessing most people that poo-poo all this stuff haven't been to a high end stereo store and heard some of the real stuff.... it is amazing. It's at least good to have a benchmark to aim for.

10. 2016aug29

But before one goes to the step of upgrading cables, one should look at the listening environment. Are the speakers placed well (get them out from the walls!)? Is the listening spot in a place where there are no peaks or nulls? Are the hifi components plugged into a power strip with a number of noisy pieces of equipment (wifi routers, switching power supplies, etc.)? Do you have a lot of hard surfaces and bad reflections? And we could go on.

fishleehooker and johntoste like this.
  11. Chuck Hairy

Chuck Hairy Supporting Member

12. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

This. I’ll never understand how this simple fact is so often either overlooked or ignored.

13. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

When I last had a decent hifi system , the house was rewired so it had its own dedicated sockets .

You think people don’t think of these things ?

Right now my mixing desk runs through 2 Apc ups systems , But don’t have one of the power cords

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  14. johntoste

johntoste Member

Expensive power cords are a foreign, even bizarre, concept to most people. In the context of a very high performance (usually expensive) stereo system they can absolutely make a difference.
    David Gilmour's recording studio, Robert Ludwig's mastering suite and many other well known professional applications are wired with enough "high-end" cabling to buy a Ferrari.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 11:02 PM
    mcp and Stu Cats like this.
  15. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

This is where it all goes off the rails.
    https://cutthroataudio.com/product/copper-john/
    Anything that makes an amp several db's louder would produce a clearly measurable change to the signal affecting both voltage and freq response.
    Several db is EASY to measure and if the power cord could possibly have that sort of effect every electrical design book in the world would have pounded it out as an engineering principle with a foundation in the physics of electricity. (not saying that high impedance cabling could not have an effect on power transmission but that sort of comparison is not at hand here)
    Find ONE.

Do cable sellers ever show detailed graphs and specs outlining their improvements?
    Show me.

art_z likes this.
  16. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

You almost had me, & then "Gilmour"'d it.

17. johntoste

johntoste Member

Oops. Nobody told me there'd be points deducted for spelling!
    (I've fixed the misspelling of David Gilmour's name in my previous post.)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018 at 11:18 PM
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  18. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

My amp technician is pretty well-known and used by many known pros for guitar and bass amps. He also does work on stereo and mono amps and is the go-to guy for anyone that is in or wants in to doing tube studio gear. He is good. He is also somewhat of a cheapskate. He has good ears and through work and stuff has a system worth quite a bit of money.
    He insists that power cabling and all cabling makes a difference, but he also confesses he doesn't spend much on it, mostly because like me, buying equipment is much more fun than buying cabling. He builds his own as a lot of people do and saves a bundle. He has built me some long speaker cables and interconnects and hopefully he is currently building power cables for my two monoblocks. Then I will know more myself.
    But as pointed out above, room improvements and placement considerations often go further than equipment or cable changes. Again of those three activities, buying equipment and gear is still the most fun. But when you get your favorite gear, I guess its power cable time. I'd still find someone to build you one or learn to build one yourself. That is something I am learning to do (Apparently it is quite simple)

19. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

That's just like how half the people spell The Who's original bassist's last name as Entwhistle. :D I have a railroad to catch.............

20. walkthewalk

walkthewalk Supporting Member

How kinky :cool: