1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

A $950 IEC Power Cord!

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by SRQGuitar, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Member

You two really should redo the test, this time taking all relevant measurements at the output of the power supply to verify that your theory is correct, or not, regarding the OEM power cord strangling the amp.

2. ian c

ian c Supporting Member

Why ?

It’s an AUDIO system !!!
    Your ears are the judge .

Not a meter , not a spec sheet , not the Internet .
    Your ears ....

Stu Cats, johntoste and CheckSix like this.
  3. 2016aug29

2016aug29 Supporting Member

Yes, but your ears hear one thing one day and something else the next. And different people hear different things.

If a power cord manufacturer claims that cord X sounds different than (or, better than) cord Y, then there should be some electrical parameters they can point to to show what is happening. If not, we are stuck with hazy audiophile speak that no one really knows what means ...

4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Some of us like to know 'how.'
    If you see Bigfoot, you believe your eyes, but nobody else saw him, so the search for measurable evidence ensues.

If there are consistent reports of an audio phenomenon that is unrecognizable to some folks it offers a chance to find out what causes it and insight into the perception of humans. NOTHING is simple. ...nothing.:eek:

5. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

I'm in the wrong business

I tell you what, I'll buy 1000' of CO cord and make power cords myself and I'll sell them to you all at HALF the price of this

Just think, handmade, artisan, IEC cords for only $449

Filled with crystal lattice

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Quantifiable results is what we're after!

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

If you can supply measured, improved, test results AND noticeably superior hearing results and show correlation between them you have created a worthy product at a better price. Have a go.:)
    That is why measurements are important.

8. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

9. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

Where are the measurements for this thing?

https://www.gcaudio.com/products/cardas-clear-beyond-power-cord/

10. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

There's obviously a market for these kinds of things though. Sort of like "high quality digital cables", etc.

11. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

Good quality, with excellent materials and components, well engineered interconnects, cables and cords... can make a difference in a system that has enough capability to allow it to come through and happen. Sometimes, some audiophiles use them as expensive tone controls. Not a practice I buy into, as I prefer neutrality. It costs money to use the highest quality materials and a lot of labor $'s assembling them. It's no surprise that these are costly when you factor in a reasonable profit margin and a limited market. The Purist Audio Design power cord difference I heard I mentioned earlier in this thread was real, within the system and context it happened. Deniers should look elsewhere. Proper interconnect, cable and cord selection for a given system is an important consideration to the final outcome.

I've spent a long time not only listening to great sound systems and great music but also on how well it is being reproduced. One thing that is always true, is you have to like the way something sounds. It has to be pleasing to you. If it isn't, you make calculated changes to improve it. In my case, I am hopelessly addicted to the imaging and soundstage reproduction that electrostatic panels create. They are also extremely good at transient response, like when you hear them reproduce acoustic instruments. There is a presence and reality to it, when you hear it. Your mileage may vary.

johntoste and 2016aug29 like this.
  12. captwillard

captwillard Member

Why don't you clone a fuzzface, give it a nice paint job, claim it has magic fairy dust, produce it in limited quantities and charge $400. Or you could wind magical PAF's and charge $700/pair.

ifallalot likes this.
  13. 57gold

57gold Silver Supporting Member

If you redirected your efforts in this regard, you'd learn that you were late to that game with LTD fuzz boxes and very expensive PAF winds...they already exist on Reverb.

14. High/Deaf

High/Deaf Member

The problem is in using power cables at all.

I've built a nuclear/thermal power plant in my living room. I use bussbar between the stepdown transformer and my audio equipment. Anyone who uses power cables just can't hear the difference like I can. They are making a big sacrifice in their sonic purity.

From an environmental pov, I would have built a hydro dam but my neighbors were a bit whiney about the flooding they were going to have to deal with. Wimps. It's a small price to pay for The Absolute Sound!

My next project is to complete Nicola's work and go with wireless power. If I can find a source to connect to, that is.

15. captwillard

captwillard Member

They do and they are more absurdly priced with murkier claims than $950 power cables, wouldn't you say?

16. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

https://blinkhighend.com/shop/cables/ansuz-mainz-dtc-power-cable/

2 meter length = $20,000

add $5K for each additional Meter length

[​IMG]

17. 2016aug29

Costly micro details ...

18. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

This is why I stopped reading Stereophile and switched to the Absolute Sound. I got tired of the measurement man. "It sounds good but does not measure up. I don't know why."

19. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Some things look better and sound better from a distance. Go macro.

2016aug29 likes this.
  20. 2016aug29

That'd be something: A "holistic" cable that facilitates a birds-eye-view of the music. See the forest, not just the trees!