A/B box help

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by salvatruco, Aug 27, 2008.

1. salvatruco

salvatruco Member

I am trying to find a way to switch between dirty amp and distortion pedal.. would an A/B box do the trick??? thanks

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

What do you mean?

3. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Do you mean switching between your amps overdrive, and your amps clean channel+distortion?

4. salvatruco

salvatruco Member

rather than using the footswitch to turn the amp distortion channel on and off. I would like to have a A/B box to switch from the amp distortion to the pedal distortion, so basically both distortions are going to be on but only one would work at one time by using the A/B box.... i just want to know if some can recommend me a good A/B box.

thanks

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

An A/B box won't turn your amp's distortion off. Your question still isn't clear.

6. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

a regular AB box is not gonna do it for you... You'll still have to step on 2 buttons.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only solution to your setup is some sort of switching system, in which ONE button could be programmed to SIMULTANEOUSLY turn switch your amp's channels with some sort of relay in place of your footswitch, and also switch your distortion pedal on/off via a loop.

7. salvatruco

salvatruco Member

that's exactly what i want

8. jstone

jstone Member

that can be done.
    But you will need to modify an true bypass looper if I understand you right.

You want 1 switch to swtich you channel on the amp in stead of using the amps foot switch and when that is switched you want the dist pedal activated.

If you buy a what ever true bypass looper with an led indicator just remove the leads from the LED indicator and connect them to a jack socket. ( you will have to drill an extra hole for this)

then you plug the cable that now is going to your foot switch to this and when you hit the switch it will change channel on your amp at the same time you activate the loop.

Pl

9. salvatruco

salvatruco Member

you are right... right now i am running a wah to distortion pedal to tonebone loopebone ( two loops here, first loope: overdrive pedal to delay. second loope: chorus to eq) the loopebone has a switch for the amp channel which is very handy!! so I still have to step in two buttons>>

thanks

10. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

If you have a single channel footswitch you can use a 3PDT switch to switch the and and activate a TB loop with the OD in it. I used to do this to switch between amp drive and pedal drive back in the 80s to switch between amp crunch and lead sounds (I had a comp, OD chorus and delay in the loop used only on the clean channel):AOK

11. jstone

jstone Member

[​IMG]
    the diagram from Beavis audio shows a basic true bypass looper. Replace the AC jack and the LED and install a jack socket. connect that to the 3 lugs on the 3pdt switch that is taken by the LED in this drawing.

12. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

That's the circuit i'm looking for right now. Exactly as jstone says, worked a treat for me.

13. salvatruco

salvatruco Member

thanks

14. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

15. salvatruco

salvatruco Member

16. jstone

jstone Member

You should be able to make this DIY project for around 30 - 40 USD f your sources are right.

Good luck!

17. salvatruco

salvatruco Member

thanks a lot!!!!!:BEER

18. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

Check this out

http://www.uraltone.com/kauppa/prod...=2283&XTCsid=f95eacf37426cc12752de2a79e72717d

With one of these you'll be able to switch your amps channel, turn on/off a TB loop AND have LED indication

It's a 4PDT switch

THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT

Make sure that the input socket that you use to toggle the amp's channel is isolated, other wise you're going to get a bad earth loop, specially as you're using high gain applications. Use a plastic socket and make sure you don't connect the earth to it inside, just connect the sleeve and tip to the switch contacts.

19. jstone

jstone Member

THIS iS RELLY IMPORTANT

You could also use a regular Switchcraft BUT with a through hole Nylon wahser.

20. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

or you could just put the amp's channel switch right next to the distortion pedal in question, and practice stepping on both of them at the same time.

with a little practice, you could then also switch to "all clean" or "double distortion" at will.