1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

A/B Box - Need help.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Great King Rat, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Great King Rat

Great King Rat Member

Hi guys who makes a simple good A/B Box. There are some with power & some without. I just need to switch inputs on a 18watt TMB channels. Something that does not pop or hum and not tone coloration.

Do you guys see any benefit to have the Y - running both channels at the same time? I'm not sure if the amp will be in phase or not in this configuration.

I recently both a 18watter. It is on its way so I'm trying to get things in-order before its arrival.

Thanks

-gkr

2. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

I just got one from this guy on E**y for my 18 Watt TMB as well

http://stores.ebay.ca/Chucks-Tone-Garage

I still haven't received it yet, but he has a 90 Day Warranty, so you can't beat that. I thought it was a very good price. Ryan at Pacific Custom pedals does excellent work from what I've heard as well. I think his site is down right now, but he frequents the boards here, so I'm sure he'll respond to this thread as well. And then there is www.loop-master.com Lot's of good options for hand-made, true bypass A/B's out there. I highly recommend one of these three.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

For just AB on a single amp, even the cheapy DOD stuff should work...

4. Great King Rat

Great King Rat Member

gproud5150, are you going to be using the Y. Running both channels?

drbob1, I'll look into them. I had heard bad stuff about the DOD AB box. Perhaps, for the right application it is a good AB box.

Thanks.

5. gproud5150

gproud5150 Member

I thought about blending the channels, but decided against it. The channels have some unique characteristics, so I dig having '2 channels' to use with seperate voicings. Plus, I think, when you blend them the Master Volume on the TMB channel is defeated. I may try it sometime, but I'm just going to A/B for now.

6. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I bought one from Loop-Master. Good solid construction, true bypass, quick shipping, and good prices to boot!

7. mrniceguy

mrniceguy Member

I second anything from Loop-Master, all their products are solid and the A/Bs require no power except for use of LED. I own a true bypass box and a A/B/Y that has a muted tuner out, never had any problems what-so-ever.

8. Great King Rat

Great King Rat Member

Thanks guys, I'm ready to place the order with loopmasters. I'm going with a a/b/y with tuner out. I've found out that my amp was designed to use both sides, and in fact they are in phase and MV functional as well. I still have not heard this amp. However, it sounds like I can goose the TMB side with another stage. :dude

So here is my question on loopmasters for the last time. Any hum or loss of signal when using the Y configuration. Lastly, why are some a/b/y boxes use circuits?

Regards

-gkr

9. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

You should not encounter ground issues when using the ABY with one amp. It does however ground out each unused input back and forth in A/B mode so, if I were you, I would check with the manufacturer to make sure the amp will be operational in either input when the other is grounded.

10. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member