A/B boxes...$50-$300...what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by radvra, Mar 10, 2006.

1. radvra

radvra Guest

I am looking for an A/B box where I can run 2 amps...either individually or in tandem. I use an VOX AC-30 (with Avatar 2X12 ext.) and a pedal board (stomp boxes, wah, tuner)...and want to run this in tandem with a digital rig...which will consist of a POD xt Live and a EON....direct to the board. Quiet operation is the goal.

The VOX doesn't really like A/B setups (fair amount of ground loop hum), so I am seeking the best choice to join these 2 setups. I like the Lehle concept, but it seems that everyone has products that range from $40 to almost $300.

I am assuming you get what you pay for in most cases, but what do you get with a boutique box that you don't get with a cheaper version? I understand true bypass, quiet switches, and transformer/hum cancelling...but there is probably a reasonable price point that has these features.

Any suggestions?

2. Fuzzdawg

Fuzzdawg Member

3. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

"Quiet operation is the goal"

That's where the Lehle shines!....and is worth the extra money, IMO. Plus the Lehle has attenuation pots for each side, which is a nice feature.

Sorry, but I didn't look for a cheaper option and there could very well be one.

Good luck!

4. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

The Fulltone spec works well with no ground loops in my experience.

5. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Well the Lehle will guarantee you no ground loops. It is also very quiet when switching b/t high gain sources. Their CS is great. And you don't have to worry about faulty 3PDT switches. Being relay-based you could also implement a remote switcher.

6. gregc

gregc Member

50-300=250!
    FWIW, I've use a $50 Morley with a few different amps and have never had any kind of problem.
    gregc

7. radvra

radvra Guest

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the input. Honestly, The Lehle looks like such a solid piece of gear materially and asthetically, and if the hum cancelling, switching, LED visuals, and attenuation features work, the only question is where can I get one (on the east coast?) for a decent price?

Trying to beef up production for a power trio gig, so running 2 setups through 2 channels (one digital/one analog) should fatten the image coming through the mains and give me a wider palette of tones for cover band stuff...although I probably won't tell the other guys that since they will just think I am trying to be louder (damn Guitarists!)

-R

8. Junebug

Junebug Member

What about the Voodoo Labs Amp Selector? I think they go for around $225 new. Controlls 4 amps, hum switches, volume control for each amp, tuner out, silent switching, some progamming ability. Biggest drawback is it takes up alot of space on your pedalboard.

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

the better ones have transformer isolated outs.......which translates to No Ground Loop Hum!

10. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

I used to run a similar setup, except I ran the POD into a power head and a 2x12 cab and miked it to the board. Very large sounding, but I just couldn't warm up to the POD so I now run a wet/dry 2 amp (all tubes) rig all of the time in my power trio, using the Lehle to split. Both are on all of the time. I even run a wet/dry/wet rig in bigger venues, splitting the effect amps with a TC Chorus. Really big!

Just do a comparison search for the Lehle online. I can't remember where I bought mine, but that's how I bought it.