A/B "Volume" Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mcdyas, Jul 8, 2006.

1. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

Does anyone know of a Volume style pedal that varies the signal A/B. That is to say when you push it down channel A output increases while channel B output decreases. In the middle you have 50/50 split between the two. Full toe down you have 100% A and 0% signal to B, etc...

It seems like it would make a nice amp A/B switch with a blend.

2. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

Morley used to make a stereo panning volume pedal like the one you're describing. You might want to google around and check out ebay to learn more.

3. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Ernie Ball does one too

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I used to have a cheapo RFX/Rolls pedal for this years ago. It's fun, but your signal level between extremes is decreased, which alters the sounds. You might be able to have someone make you an A/B box with an expression pedal that solves this, or you could get a ToneCzar VFM unit (after a couple of years waiting on the list)...

5. dingdongbell070

dingdongbell070 Member

isn't that like what the toneczar powerglide does?

6. p00n

p00n Member

Just thinking, would it be possible for a cheaper alternative to the vfm be something like a dual loooper with an expression pedal controlled blend pot? Or are expression pedal jacks trickier to implement in place of a pot?

7. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

I checked out the VFM and that is nice if you want to spend that much, but I also found that the Ernie Ball 6165 and George Dennis GD25 volume/pan pedals are readily available for $100 to $150. I'm going to get one.

I'd like to find out what other effects they were using to get those sounds in the Toneczar videos for the VFM. The sound in this video is huge: http://www.toneczareffects.com/downloads/0507vfm06.mov

8. p00n

p00n Member

The fuzz is a fender blender, the other non toneczar one looks like an ada flanger

9. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

Yeah, I emailed Ed at Toneczar and he was kind enough to give me detailed rundown. There is the Fender Blender, ADA Flanger plus the Echoczar/Angelbaby and VFM.

10. selahvie

selahvie Member

I have an Ernie Ball Stereo/Pan pedal and it works great. It does what you describe in "Pan" mode and also has a switch that turns both A and B on together, which makes the pedal a true stereo volume pedal. I'd go for the Ernie...

11. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

i ordered a george dennis model because i believe it is all optical and it also has adjustable levels for the two sides so you can boost one (or both) sides if you want to.

12. p00n

p00n Member

Are there issues with the signal bleeding through, for example when its at B there's still a bit of signal A coming through? Heard that it experiences some of that..

13. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

i got the george dennis volume/panning pedal (made in czech republic) and i have to say it works pretty well with optical control. 1 input/2 outputs and a volume boost control for each output. so i've just begun to play with the possibilities but since it doesn't seem to be a tonesucker it will likely stay in my signal chain.