A band Fuzz lovers should check out...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by yeahyeahyeah, Feb 21, 2009.

1. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Member

The Black Keys.

plenty of Lo-fi, fuzzy goodness.

Just thought I'd share. Check em' out.

I have no affiliation. I just like them.

Anyone know (or have pictures of) what he's playing? I know he's a self proclaimed gear head.

2. Zero G

Zero G Member

Dan Auerbach's guitar tech is Jamie at Earthquaker Devices, and he's stated that Dan uses stock and modified Hoof's. He's also been known to use Maestro fuzz pedals. Dan has said he is a huge gear nerd, so he probably changes up his rig quite a bit.

3. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Yep. Awesome thick guitar tones there. There is an old Guitar Player interview where he admits to having a problem, that he owns about 100 fuzzboxes. I know he used a Fulltone Soul Bender for much of Thickfreakness.

4. -DC/AC-

-DC/AC- Member

I've seem him use the old green Russian Big Muffs quite a bit when he plays live.

5. itkindaworks

itkindaworks Member

Definetly awesome fuzzy sounds. He's been know to use sunfaces and green russian muffs along with the maestro that was mentioned as well.

6. jmjohnson40

jmjohnson40 Member

The Maestro (the wedge with the two wheels) was a major part of his sound on their first album, THE BIG COME UP. Since then, he has used just about every fuzz box (never heard of him using a fuzzface or anything similar) around.

The Green Sovtek Muff has been the mainstay for a few years now.

7. Philly Fuzz

Philly Fuzz Supporting Member

For you Maestro junkies: is there much of a difference between the wedge-shaped Maestro FZ-1 and the FZ-1S (the one that looks like a record player)?

I know the latter has two modes, etc., but sound wise are they pretty much the same?

8. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

Dan Auerbach's pedalboard from a March 1st solo performance (playing material from his new album Keep It Hid...

FWIW, his new solo album is great! Definitely some great tones throughout.

[​IMG]

9. Highway Jones

Highway Jones Member

...thought you were going to say The Buffalo Killers but, I'll have to check out TBK's as well.

10. E Baxter Put

E Baxter Put Member

The latest Stephen Malkmus album has some really good fuzz as well.

11. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

Yep, lovely fuzz sounds. When I saw them live last November he was using a Gibson 54' VOS, Analogman Delay and what I'm sure was a Sunface.

Oh, and +1 on the new Malkmus album... some great guitar tones on there too. He uses a Fuzz Factory for alot of the fuzz tone on that record.