A band or performer whom YOU dig who your significant other hates ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Telejester, May 16, 2019.

1. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

I got lucky. My wife loves Rush. She's even more of a fan than I am.

However, I like Night Ranger and she's not a big fan of them.

2. atk1

atk1 Supporting Member

Phish.. but she's a HUGE Grateful Dead fan.. Go figure..

3. gennation

gennation Member

I don’t know if I’d use the word hate but, Ani Difranco.

On the flip side, she likes Cold Play, and I don’t.

Other than that we both like great music. She’s pretty heavy into Sting though and while I like The Police and respect his solo stuff I can take him or leave him.

But she took me to an Ani concert and I took her to one of the Sting and Peter Gabriel shows. So we work it out. Not to mention she listens to Mahavishnu Orchestra/John McLaughlin right along with me and that’s awesome! She’s awesome!

4. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Hendrix
    SRV
    Folk Music

She likes stuff that's not serious and has to be danceable...pop

Beyonce
    Beiber
    Justin

5. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

6. Peteyforto

Peteyforto Member

The Birthday Party
    Flipper

7. pinkopotamus

pinkopotamus Member

She dislikes Fripp but adores Belew. Funny thing is she can identify Fripp when he is playing sideman or guest. This comes up more often than you would think and strangely she always likes the songs. She is not fond of KC. Oh, the horror.
    She doesn't like: jazz, Bach organ music, the Beatles, Rush, Testament, Black Flag, John Zorn, Saxon Shore, old Genesis (we both loathe 80s Genesis), the Yardbirds, Yes, Slayer, Curve, Sepultura, AC/DC, Ice-T, Zappa, Priest, Sabbath, etc., ad infinitum

She came around on: Adrian Belew, Broken Social Scene, Sigur Ros, Grizzly Bear, My Bloody Valentine, Brian Eno, Pinback, Battles, Animal Collective

Very little I could honestly say I hate that she listens to. Not a big fan of Counting Crows and she knows it. I have not heard a Counting Crows song for years. I don't make her listen to Basinski or fusion. everything else goes...you might hear Halsey, Segovia, Taylor Swift, Saccharine Trust, Pantera, Prince, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Grimes, Foreigner, and the B52s on a playlist...I just did. Hell I can play half of Taylor Swifts catalog on guitar and bass just from strumming along with our playlists. Pretty sure I have the most epic beard of all the Swiftys and I probably know the songs better than most having played them more times than one of her sidemen. Strange. 15 year old me would have been shocked at this outcome. I was so metal...

I have not found a single version of this that she likes:

8. pinkopotamus

pinkopotamus Member

bummer, my wife loves her

9. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

I love my wife but our current music ven diagram is pretty thin - she likes pop rock music (Train, Maroon 5, Fall Out Boy, etc...) which I don't hate but isn't really my wheelhouse. Whether it's Iron Maiden, Rush, Foo Fighters or other hard rock/progressive, or americana/alt country, or alternative stuff she's not much of a fan. Too loud or too driven guitars are not her jam.

10. DirtLover

DirtLover Member

Pink Floyd, Rush, Neil Young, Jimi, I could go on and on, my wife hates a lot of music I like and my undying love of hard rock/metal is lost on her. But there is common ground and we enjoy lots of live music together and I often take her to shows of bands that she's never heard of/listened to. Conversation often goes like this: "Hey, Metallica is playing in Spokane!" Her: "You should go, maybe Don will go with you..."
    She also doesn't understand the importance of volume when enjoying good music. Especially true in the car.

11. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

most of it. the mrs loves country and a fair bit of pop (at least older say 80s-early 2000s). she isn't into most metal or anything even remotely heavy. she does like Kenny Wayne Sheppard SRV and Joe Bonamassa (with Beth Hart) so she's not a total loss.

12. ToneDeVille

ToneDeVille Member

13. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Oh this is a long list, we actually met because of the Grateful Dead and we both love Ska but some of the bands that are dearest to me she hates:

King Crimson
    Genesis (Gabrial era)
    ELP
    ... see a pattern emerging?
    Strawbs

This is stuff my dad got me into, to be fair she has opened up to other styles she "hated" when we met... she's seen Willie, she can reconize a Waylan from a Merle and shes gone all in on bluegrass. She plays King Crimson at her sisters to laugh at me.

And she didn't reconize "bass lines" when we met so when I'm geeking out over a guitar / bass part she doesn't get it

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  14. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

That's the way that the world goes round....

Inturned my wife on to JP she loves "Inspite of Ourselves" and a favorite of hers (another I turned her onto) Keller Williams does a killer Illegal Smile

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Bluedano1 likes this.
  15. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

Yup.

I think a more concise thread would be “name a band/performer you and your significant other both like”

scott944 likes this.
  16. viper

viper Member

Cool thread topic. My wife doesn't have obscure tastes and tends to stick with what's popular on the radio or some of the more melodic classic rock content (think Eagles and Fleetwood Mac over Led Zep and AC/DC), the latter of which we both agree on. When we go on long road trips my playlist is pretty much queued up with everything I know we'd both like, which is a lot of 70s and 80s tunes. Anything that she will sing along to out of those eras works best.

On those rare occasions I can turn her onto something- one night I told her that she HAD to go see Junior Brown with me. She went and loved it although she was more impressed that he was closer in singing style to Johnny Cash while I was too busy watching his fretwork :)

17. 4inchjones

4inchjones Member

We're pretty much on the same page with most of musical tastes, except for The Smiths. I've loved them since I was 15. She absolutely can't stand them.

18. josephvman

josephvman Member

Wilco! And I’m taking her to the Solid Sound festival next month and she doesn’t really know it’s a Wilco festival! If we can get through that we can get through anything!

19. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

She holds a special place of hatred in her heart for Wishbone Ash. In fact, when she hears something she doesn't like, she says "that sounds like wishbone ash." Most of the time she's right.

Don't quite understand why, as she likes most rock, pop, blues, soul, etc. even tolerates jazz. Just no Wishbone Ash.

At least we share a mutual dislike of Gordon Lightfoot.

20. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

There's a scant few we agree on, but mostly we have completely different tastes. It's fortunate I love a very wide range of music styles, while she doesn't.