A bass for a beginner

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Soundhound, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

A friend wants to learn to play bass. I don't know that she has ever played an instrument, just got a wild hair. She's talked about it before though so I wanted to start her off with the right thing.what would be a good base for her to get, spending as little as possible presumably. Something new like a squire, or something here, etc? Any recommendations would be great. Thanks!

2. jay42

jay42 Member

Is her budget small or are you assuming that?

I think if it's doable, it's better to have a good used instrument from the start. Student instruments are for children who are likely to damage them. If playing bass turns out to be a fleeting notion, then it can be sold for what it cost.

fwiw, I've played a Squier Jazz that was a pretty good instrument. Still, I'd be looking for a light weight (8 lbs) J or P with upgraded pickups, straight fretboard, and good frets. Be careful with the neck width on P's. She probably would end up hampered by a 1 3/4" nut.

...and buy her a poster of Tal Wilkenfeld.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  3. Rick N Boogie

Rick N Boogie Member

I agree, a good used bass is a much better plan than a new entry level anything. The most important thing is that it's comfortable for her, and within her budget.

4. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

I think she said she was hoping to spend just a couple hundred bucks. The Tal Wilkenfeld poster would be for me. :)

5. steinny

steinny Member

6. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Member

Show her how to play some things, even if it's on your guitar. It can be anything, just so she can have something to play when she goes to try basses out. You or someone who has experience playing should probably go with her. If there is no store with a bunch of basses like a GC near you, then the Rondo suggestion would be a good one.

7. VeloDog

VeloDog Member

I'll bet I've been through this a dozen or more times with both men and ladies who get a wild hair and decide they want to play bass (or guitar for that matter).

I keep an old Samick bass and Hartke practice amp around just to loan to friends that have been smitten with the itch. The vast majority of the time the equipment is returned to me within a month after said smitten individual gets a clue or two about the commitment factor.

Having said that, if you want to spend $200 on a used bass rig with amp then it is do-able, albeit barely, if you buy used gear. Don't forget that you will need some basic accessories such as a strap, tuner, and instrument cable.

I suggest you look for any decent used Squier bass and a used practice amp in the 10-30 watt range. If you shop wisely then you should be able to stay under the $200 budget and still get your money back out of it should she turn fickle on the idea after a while.

8. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

Not sure of her size, but maybe a Fender Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass would work...
    A shorter scale, smaller body, easy player to get started, then trade up if she wants to stretch out.
    New $229 on ebay, used for less. Black, Sunburst, LPB maybe others?
    [​IMG]

9. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

A used Yamaha will take her buck further than most other things, and even their cheapest still has goodness.

10. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

The most basic Squier P can be set up to play well and sound decent.

11. nodepression

nodepression Member

Agreed

Also, consider renting one is an option. Minimum investment to test the waters.

12. ksandvik

ksandvik Member

Squier Vintage Modified models. Sterling by MusicMan Subs.

13. Soundhound

Soundhound Member

Thanks guys, lots of good advice here. That squire modified mustang looks good. I was going to take her over to True Tone my favorite local store (west side of LA) though I doubt they'd have anything in her $ range... Teaching her some stuff first is a great idea, will do this too.

14. paulbearer

paulbearer Member