A better Bad Monkey ... who makes it?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Snakum, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Snakum

Snakum Member

I almost hate to ask ... because I fear there will be a list of flavors of the month that aren't even close to the Tube Screamer genre. But is there another pedal that does this, BETTER than a Bad Monkey, and if so, in what way is it 'better':

Hook up a guitar straight to a good tube amp, dial in your best clean tone on channel 1 and your best crunch tone on channel 2 ...

Add a pedal to the line and hear NO change in tone/signal ...

Turn the pedal on and hear no popping, and dial in the pedal so that when it is on, there is NO change in tone (the Monkey can come close to this) ...

Go to channel 1 and now dial in a tone on the pedal that sends your amp's clean tone to SRV Land ... a clear, articulate singing clean tone that sustains and provides a tad of musical feedback, but remains relatively clean. It's nothing more than your favorite channel 1 'PLUS' singing clean sustain.

Go to channel 2 and hit the pedal again (with the same settings used on channel 1) and it bumps the crunch tone to another level of singing sustain while still remaining articulate. Your amp 'PLUS' is what rolls out of the speakers.

The pedal should add no tonal characteristics that can't be dialed out (upper mid harshness, mid hump, etc.) and merely yeilds your amp 'PLUS' on both channels with one setting.

Is there anything better than the Monkey? I'm sure there are plenty AS GOOD AS the Monkey, but what's better at this clear, transparent, tubey boost?

(I'm always looking for something better. And with a new amp coming I want to see what's out nowadays. :D )

2. jeremym19

jeremym19 Member

People usually say the bad monkey is the poor mans Klon so I would check one of those out if your looking for a better bad monkey

3. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

I've actually got one for you. . . and this was after a 4-screamer shootout, in which we felt the bad monkey came in SECOND (including an 808 and a ts9)AM silver modded ts9 did edge out the monkey. Not by a little, to my ears. Meanwhile, it cost 4x as much. . . it was my favorite screamer. Finances forced me to sell it. No worries though. . . I still have the monkey. . . and the 808. . .

4. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

It almost sounds like you want a boost, not an overdrive. Something that won't color the tone, but push the front end a bit more? Check out some clean boost pedals. Do a search if you need specific recommendations.

dk

5. SomethingOn

SomethingOn Member

Nobels ODR-1 The poors mans Bad Monkey.....

6. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

Not an 808 clone but does everything you asked for--Xotic RC Booster. I never turn it off.

7. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

:roll

8. Snakum

Snakum Member

ROFLMFAO! :dude

9. Snakum

Snakum Member

Details?

(And Thanks!)

10. Snakum

Snakum Member

And yes ... the Xotic pedals are in the running. I really liked the AC, but I haven't been able to wring one out at volume. I also read that the BB has a decent lower gain tone without coloring the amp, oddly enough, even though it has more gain on tap than the AC/RC.

11. erksin

erksin Member

MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe or Catalinbread Silver Kiss Mk.2

12. silverface63

silverface63 Member

+1 on the RC.

13. Snakum

Snakum Member

I am also trying to find the BB+ and AC+ to demo. I sometimes run two Bad Monkeys in my chain (2 BMs, one DigiDelay in the loop, and a Morley Wah), and thought the idea behind the BB+/AC+ was awesome considering the amount of control you'd have on each 'channel' and having comp when needed, too.

Also thought about the AM KoT. Anyone tried it compared to a BB+ or AC+?

Thanks for all the help, guys! :AOK

14. dosmun

dosmun Member

15. Snakum

Snakum Member

I tried the MI Audio Blues Boy beside the Monkus, and felt the MI pedal was 'as good' perhaps ... but not quieter/fuller/more articulate/less tone sucking/musical/etc. That was my experience with the ZenDrive, as well. I know it's heresy around here, but playing both side by side I can't justify the cost. :(

16. kidd36

kidd36 Member

bump monkey.

best 40 bucks i have EVER spent on guitar stuff.

i know, you want something that does it better...but for LIVE application, there is a point where some of the subtleties may not be worth the ordeal...to me, anyway....

studio...whole nother ballgame of course.

it's todays 'vintage tube screamer',,,someday people will scream for one of the originals!

17. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

used mi audio blues pro. try that before you throw $400 at a klon.

18. burner

burner Member

I have no experience at all with the Bad Monkey so take this for what it's worth...

I've always said that the Guyatone OD2 does the Tubescreamer thing better than the Tubescreamer....

19. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Well I own the monkey, and I actually owned two for a while when they first came out, but IMHO the Fulltone2 Ann. MOSFET absolutely is much better! It has better feel, cleans up better, has smoother gain range as well as much better quality pots, is way more versatile, has the boost feature for nice bluesy solos, true Bypass, and much better tone. That is why I like the fulltone better, and to me the price difference was easily worth it. But thats my take on it, I'm sure some Monkey fans won't like it, but this is what I find to be a better choice for me and my tone.
    Best Regards!