A better strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by geng, Feb 23, 2008.

1. geng

geng Member

I like Fender Stratocaster vibe and comfortably design. I find it comfortably to play.

But almost every strat I try has some drawback: lacks sustain, does not stay in tune, if using trem arm out of tune, in some cases it distorts fine, other not, noise issues when using my Lone Star and so on. Is there a better strat than fenders, better build with more tune stability, stays in tune despite trem arm dives, quiet and has great sustain. With good strat clean sound but has more modern drive sound with sustain for long notes.

If there is tell me!

2. lostcause

lostcause Member

A Tom Anderson. It will sound beautifull with your Lonestar.
    Maybe also try a PRS Swamp Ash Special.
    I love Fender Strats with all there so called flaws.

3. eric102673

eric102673 Member

Good god, is this thread gonna be long and full of nonsense!
    :munch

-e.

4. geng

geng Member

Hope not. I am seriously looking for great strat, not only for studio but also a good gigging axe - great sustain, tuning stability, versatile.

5. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Strat Plus Deluxe. I think they're discontinued but you can still get them used.

Roller nut with hipshot tremsetter makes the trem stay in tune, even with big divebombs. Lace Sensor noiseless PUs.

6. geng

geng Member

What about Sadowsky! Any thoughtsor experience?

7. claudel

claudel Supporting Member

Build one.

Get a nice resonant body and a neck that fits you.

Paint it in a color you like. (it's not that difficult)

Quality hardware.

Swap pickups till you are happy.

Viola.

8. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

First, HELLO and WELCOME!

You will likely get a BAZILLION opinions/responses to this question.

I have S-type guitars by several great builders, but for the money, it would be REALLY hard to beat a Melancon. Several dealers around the country have some in stock, or you can custom order one, or, they can be found used, often for a great deal (in fact, there may be one over in the Emporium now).

Good luck in your quest!

9. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

I thought he was talking about a guitar...

10. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

CS Strat Pro, American Deluxe, etc,etc. There are a lot of Strats that seem to escape your definition of what a Strat is. IMHO you cannot get a better Strat then a Fender Strat. Sure, there are plenty of copies, but that is what they are is copies, some are good, some are not, but none are better than a great Strat. But almost any Strat from any reputable builder should do with a proper set up and pickups to suit your style of playing.
    Best Regards!

11. The Birdman

The Birdman Member

American-made G&L Legacy. It meets all your criteria.

Roger

12. Ray Gianelli

Ray Gianelli Member

If you like the Strat you have the tuning issues can be resolved, and if noise is an issue the Suhr backplate system is one solution.

If you have a regular string tree replace it with a roller tree. Locking tuners are another solution; they come stock on the Deluxe Strat and after having them I wouldn't have a Strat without them. Lube your nut with Nut Sauce or Chapstick to prevent binding.

An ash Strat will sustain better but is heavier. My alder Deluxe Strats sustains fine, but the one with the trem claw set to clamp the bridge to the body does sustain better. A floating trem will not sustain as well, IMHO. But to me, it's worth it.

HTH!

13. Cory

Cory Guest

The Sadowsky's are killer! I've got one and LOVE it! Super instrument that is very well built. Has tone and sustain for days. Top notch in every way. Roger's service is perfect! Great person as well!

14. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Gold Supporting Member

I agree 100% amazing strat types, and you can special order whatever you want from them.

15. Dave

Dave Member

You'll get an opinion on just about every Strat builder in the world in this thread; Suhr, Grosh, DeTemple, Tyler, D'Pergo, Melancon, Anderson, G&L, Fender CS, etc., etc.

They're all great for different reasons. Good luck choosing one and have fun. :)

16. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Ask Robin Trower about sustain on a Strat.

Sounds like you just have setup issues. A properly setup Strat will sustain for days and stay in tune.

17. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Have you tried the new '08 Strats?

18. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

I agree. As for the noiseless part, there's plenty of pickup options out there right now. The Dimarziao Area series seem to be well thought of right now.

19. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I got my first Strat in 1974 (still have it). I own a dozen nice Fender Strats of various ages & types & love 'em. A few years ago I picked a Parker Nitefly SSS & put a set of Lace Hot Golds in it. I almost never pick up a Strat now & have gotten a 2nd Nitefly for some other pups. The Parkers are lighter, balance better, are even more comfy than my beloved Strats, have carbon fiber coated necks, stainless steel frets, Sperzels lockers, no string trees, a great sounding peizo bridge to mix in, the smoothest trem I ever felt & are fast to play & stay in tune. I still love a good Strat but keep picking up the Parkers. Never thought I would say that!

20. XKnight

XKnight Member

G&L for the same or even less money.

Suhr if you're willing to spend more.

Many other choices, but the two above are a great starting point.