A bit confused

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by rjbee, Mar 18, 2015.

1. rjbee

rjbee Member

Ok, so I've read the ReRanch 101 tutorial and being new to this I am a bit confused with some of the terminology so let me ask in terms I can understand. I have finished the primer coat on the body of my guitar and am ready for color. I'm using Fender black with a clear coat finish. I plan on doing about 3 coats of black then finishing with clearcoat. It is my understanding that I should wait approximately 30-60 minutes between coats of black. Do I then sand the next day before I apply the clearcoat. Then when doing multiple coats of clear, how often do I sand, after each coat, or after a few coats? Do I also wait the same time period in between coats as I did for the color?
    Thank you for your advice

2. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

My finishing schedule, YMMV, for paint I would sand the primer and re-coat if necessary to make it blemish free. But no more than 320/400 grit dry sanding, not wet. Then spray the black color coats until you have even coverage, good idea to wait that long between coats. I never sand the color coats unless I have a bad run or some foreign particle in the color. the next day is fine to start the clear coats. I only sand in between if something gets in the finish. Just build the finish, let is sit for a month, wet sand and polish, if you're using nitro. Some say you can wet sand/polish in much less time, but I like waiting.

3. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Pretty much. The goal is to have the wood perfect...I mean PERFECT...before you start. Then, the only time I sand between coats is if I screwed something up, though I often times do give the first coat a quick wipe sanding to get rid of the fuzzies.

Definitely do wait at least an hour between any coats, and don't spray more than 3 coats a day. You'll get away with a more aggressive finish schedule with a good gun and good technique, but with rattle cans you will almost certainly lay it on thick, or at least uneven, and being aggressive will almost certainly trap solvent on previous layers and it will take forever to dry properly.

The ONLY point of ever sanding a nitro finish is to make it flat so that you can properly buff it. In an ideal world, the wood would be perfect, you'd lay down a perfect finish, and no buffing would be required. In the real world, nothing happens perfectly so you eventually have to sand and buff (really, both the same process but on different scales).

So laying the finish on thin and even, especially the color coats which you really don't want to sand through, works to your advantage, because the less uneven build you have, the less sanding you'll have to do, and ultimately the less finish you need to apply because you don't need a lot of excess to give you some sanding margin.

4. rjbee

rjbee Member

Thank you gentlemen

5. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

You're very welcome. The finish schedule sort of figures itself out once you understand the why behind all of the crazy rules. :)