• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

A bit of Relief in the Neck Sure Makes a Big Difference

daddyo

My Les Paul Traditional came with a dead straight neck and perfectly level frets and it sounded pretty good. Gibson deemed it too much to include a $3 truss rod wrench with a $2300 guitar and I didn't want to use my greasy garage 5/16 socket on it so I did nothing for 3 months. Well, I went out and bought a new 5/16 nut driver to keep in the case and I gave the LP a bit of relief.
What a difference. It really sings now. Amazing.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
It has probably moved in the meantime, too.
My necks are waving like reeds as winter sets in.

IAE

I just ordered a 5/16 tool myself for mine. Like yours, its dead flat.

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
It has probably moved in the meantime, too.
My necks are waving like reeds as winter sets in.
Mine too - and I live in Santa Barbara, seasons here range from "wear shorts" to "wear pants" (GRIN)

Seriously, the weather's been very odd this year, with a lot of "unseasonal" weather. Hot, cold, rain, wind, dry - and all kind of out of order. The older guitars seem to move less than the newer ones - interesting.

Thanks, Dana O.

K-Line

Vendor
Try building from raw wood in the seasonal changes. In a mater of a week, the size of the body blanks almost reduce by 10%. Kind of like what happens when you get into the pool too early in the year.

DGDGBD

Oh yeah, loves me my neck relief. When a guitar of mine starts sounding lifeless, that's the first thing i check.

baimun

Gibson doesn't include a truss wrench?

All my PRS guitars came with truss wrenches, appropriate allen keys, and extra locking tuner buttons in case I ever lose one.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Mine too - and I live in Santa Barbara, seasons here range from "wear shorts" to "wear pants" (GRIN)

Seriously, the weather's been very odd this year, with a lot of "unseasonal" weather.
Same here in the Monterey area Dana ..

Left my Melancon Tele in the car the other night ...
freaked out when I realized this the next morning,
Anticipating a neck tweak, the guitar was just fine because it didn't get anywhere near as cold as it was the previous night

Unpredictable these days ain't it... as U said, shorts one day, pants the next ...

Bluedawg

Gibson doesn't include a truss wrench?

All my PRS guitars came with truss wrenches, appropriate allen keys, and extra locking tuner buttons in case I ever lose one.

My Gibson's have been a mixed bag for me ... sometimes it comes with the guitar and sometimes not ..

Based on my experience working in a music store ... your friendly guitar store employees may have "borrowed" the wrench and forgot to put it back.

:hide

IAE

HAHA, guitar stores always steal **** outa the cases. Sometimes they even steal the cases!

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
HAHA, guitar stores always steal **** outa the cases. Sometimes they even steal the cases!
It's true - I go to so many guitar stores that have HUNDREDS of Gibson truss rod "wrenches" in overflowing drawers.

Hey Joseph - I'm sure things in Monterey are a lot like Santa Barbara. Could be worse though, we could live where Chris (KLine) does - in Crestwood, Missouri - you KNOW the temp and humidity swing a bunch there!

Thanks, Dana O.

OlAndrew

Yeah, here in the Santa Cruz mountains it can go from foggy, chilly and damp to hot and dry, and back again in a day. I gets me lots of practice doing setups.

dspellman

Try building from raw wood in the seasonal changes. In a mater of a week, the size of the body blanks almost reduce by 10%. Kind of like what happens when you get into the pool too early in the year.
Taylor has taken to drying their wood well beyond what they expect the worst conditions the wood will encounter after it becomes a guitar. They they bring it back in a 50% humidity environment and let it settle out for a while before building. They've found that after this treatment, when the guitars DO shrink again, they do so at a much smaller percentage.

dspellman

None of my guitars have come with a trussed wench, though I think that would be a kinky gift to go with it.

Trending Topics