a bit of wine!

soulohio

I just spec'ed a new MacBook Pro and it cam to almost $4400 with the Applecare and the applications, fast drive-no extra RAM. Man, what an expensive computer.

Want some cheese with that whine? :rolleyes:

If it's too much get something else. But given that the top of the line MacBook Pro is $2800, what are you adding on for the additional $1600 (or $2400 if it's the lowest one)?

soulohio

Want some cheese with that whine? :rolleyes:

If it's too much get something else. But given that the top of the line MacBook Pro is $2800, what are you adding on for the additional $1600 (or $2400 if it's the lowest one)?
17 inch is $2799
2.6 Intel core duo is another $250
200GB 7200 RPM SATA drive is another $250
17 inch HD high res display another $200 (might as well when you are only looking)
Mag Safe $50 (I fly)
iWork and Final Cut Express $280
Logic $200
Canon Pixma printer $150
Applecare $350

New updates are due the end of the month but you won't save unless you go for the lower spec machines, which I won't. Only alternative for me is to go for the Penryn chip small spec laptop and spend the big cash on the Nehalem chip laptop this summer-fall which promises to be the big deal...I guess.

mcmarlin

are you planning to use this computer for graphics design? i personally wanted the pro but settled for the macbook and it works phenomenally well and isn't "slow" by any means. the pro, especially the top of the line, is more computer than most ppl will know what to do with. of course, if you need everything top of the line, its going to cost a lot, regardless of the company.

soulohio

I will probably do some movie editing and put together vignettes...photoshop and dreamweaver web stuff...and of course the audio.

mcmarlin...how much was your macbook?

MarkL8

Have you considered building your own. These days you can build a smoking box for a lot less than 4G's.

MichaelK

Yeah, you spec-ed an expensive machine.

Buy it the week after the new machines come out, you'll save hundreds.

909one

Here's a tip, don't buy ram or hard drives from apple. They upcharge everything.
Get the lowest amount of ram and hard drive size directly from the factory and do the upgrade yourself. I recommend this place for parts:

http://www.macsales.com/

They are great and cater specifically to Apple products.

I have also heard a new mac book pro is going to be released soon.

elambo

Here's a tip, don't buy ram or hard drives from apple. They upcharge everything.
Get the lowest amount of ram and hard drive size directly from the factory and do the upgrade yourself. I recommend this place for parts:

http://www.macsales.com/

They are great and cater specifically to Apple products.

I have also heard a new mac book pro is going to be released soon.
OWC is a great company, but he's actually getting a good price on that drive, and not buying ram. macsales might be a little cheaper, but for a 200gig 7200 SATA, I doubt much cheaper.

soulohio

I can get an educational discount but I think that is only $300 bucks. I would rather buy guitars but I actually need a computer for work and I can write this off...so I will wait until the new Macbook Pro laptops come out this month and see what i can do...

mcmarlin

I will probably do some movie editing and put together vignettes...photoshop and dreamweaver web stuff...and of course the audio.

mcmarlin...how much was your macbook?

got it in canada, with my student discount. it was 1600+tax im pretty sure.
it was a year and a half ago now

NotWesYet

Silver Supporting Member
I spec'd that at Apple.com/education and with only 2 gigs of ram and minus the printer came up with $3632 and the 4 gig kit at Other World Computing is $99.

Trending Topics