• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

A Blackface and a Tweed

Rob 62

As much as I have liked playing a lot of different Fender (or Fender-style) amps, I'm thinking that I would like to end up with just two amps: a "muscle" amp, and a lower wattage, easy to carry smaller amp.

But which way to go? Muscle tweed, and smaller blackface, or vice versa?

Super Reverb/Tweed Deluxe

Tweed Bassman or Bandmaster/Princeton Reverb (maybe with a 12")

You get the idea. I kept a '68 Twin Reverb for the past 26 years, and in that time have had two different Victoriettes and a Carr Rambler - all great amps, but I have been looking to shake things up.

Please weigh in - ideas, comments, questions. I play out every twelfth of never, and probably don't need a muscle amp, but I like them, anyway!

bratch

Tweed deluxe and a twin reverb

I have a deluxe reissue and a BF concert amp (4x10s) for loud cleans, for which I have little use nowadays ... hence the princeton reverb.

I love my amps, but if I was offering advice to someone starting from scratch, I'd say the 5e3 for the tweed and a BF or SF twin.

jguitarslim

I'd take a good look at the new 3rd Power American Dream MK2.
Like having killer BF & Tweed amp all in one amp w/ best master.

terrapin

I would do Option 3..Tweed Bassman or Bandmaster (good luck finding one you can afford) and a Princeton or Deluxe Reverb BF.

Rob 62

Oof - already sold the Twin. It was kind of like selling an old friend, but I really wasn't using it much, and I always liked the sound/feel of the Super Reverb a little more. If I could have affected a straight trade with somebody - my '68 Twin for their '68 or '69 Super, I would have done it.

The tweed choices would end up being Victorias - 35115, 35310, Ivy League, 20112, 45410. The 35115 and a Super Reverb would really do it, but I don't think I can consider any of those 28-watt Victorias a "small amp".

I see another thread in the works - a small, MEDIUM, and large amp choice.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
How big do you really need. With mic'ing and monitoring, I imagine a DR and 5e3 is more than adequate.

tdarian

Platinum Supporting Member
Check out the Redplate Amps RP40. You'll do it with one amp, but by means get a 2nd amp too!

Rumble5

If you got a Blackface Pro Reverb and tweaked it a little it would do everything you describe in one package. With 2x12's it will qualify as your "muscle" amp in just about any circumstance and provide the classic Blackface cleans. Since it is tube rectified, if you put in a 5U4 rectifier tube for more sag, less headroom, and lower wattage, then pull the V1 preamp tube for more gain on the trem/reverb channel, and put some low efficiency British style or Alnico speakers in it that break up at low volumes, it will get into the low wattage tweed tonal range at reasonable volumes as well.

jklotz

Silver Supporting Member
Take a look at the Jackson McFly. It'll do both, and switches between 6V6's and 6L6's.

e???

Yeah blackface muscle and low watt tweed. Seems like you'd have more options, and you'd get to hear the tweed cranked and it wouldn't hurt your ears... and use it at most gigs cause of PA's these days being pretty pro everywhere, meaning you could use a champ if you wanted cause they mic it either way

Bigtone

I have a RI Vibroverb the Diaz one with the 15", for muscle and that clean BF sound,

Then a little tweed super narrow panel 58' , for grab and go,

I vote blackface muscle as well, and a smaller tweed, the tweeds breakup better anyway,

Bt

wgs1230

Fully Intonatable
Silver Supporting Member
Muscle tweed, and smaller blackface, or vice versa?

I play out every twelfth of never, and probably don't need a muscle amp, but I like them, anyway!
Can you turn up at home? That would determine whether I went for, eg, a 5E3 or 5F4 in a tweed type. I don't see the point of going up the next step to the Bassman or 50w Twin if you're not playing with a rhythm section regularly.

In a bf circuit, it's hard to beat a Vibrolux or Pro Reverb unless you really need portability, in which case, Deluxe Reverb would be my choice.

With all that said, have you tried the Victoria Silver Sonic/Golden Melody circuits? More or less the same preamp, low/high powered respectively. Amazing sounds. If I were in the market at that price point, that's definitely where I'd start.

majorminor

Gold Supporting Member
If you play a wide range of styles and gig I'd vote for larger blackface and a smaller tweed. I'd pick something like Vibrolux Reverb and a Tweed Deluxe.

straightblues

BF Super Reverb is a great amp. Go for it. You have been playing long enough and know what you are after. Prices are down right now with everyone moving to small amps, great time to pick one up.

For tweed, I would go small. I don't like the Deluxe, it gets to nasty for me. Check out the Fender Harvard or Pro instead. They are both really good sounding amps. Also, don't be afraid to try older cheaper amps like the Danelectro 1482 or one of the Valco amps.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom