• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

A Blackface and a Tweed

cbguy

Green & Gold Supporter
I hate to repeat what others have said but, really, you should check out TDarian's recommendation of the RedPlate RP40. Blackface and Tweed preamps in the same easy-to-transport cabinet with the added bonus of a superb overdrive section. RedPlates get absolutely wonderful Fender-style cleans. Loud enough to hang with any drummer. Solid construction.

guitback

Blackface SR here, but with only 2-10's (mulit-tap transformer). One 10 is an EV style Weber and the other is a Ragin' Cajun. If I need it lower volume, I just pick one of the 10's and turn down the negative feedback pot (yes, it does make a difference when you cannot crank the amp). If I need stage volume louder than a Super Reverb through those 2-10's, then everybody on stage needs to turn the #$%^! down! (wow, I'm quite grumpy in my 50's!) I also have a Crate Palomino V16 with a Celestion Blue in it as a grab-n-go. Tone on that one is to my ears, a cross between a Fender and a Vox.

Rob 62

Thanks for all the replies.

I liked the idea of the Pro Reverb mods - they are great amps, but if I went 2x12 again, it would be a tweed Twin.

Liked the Silver Sonic idea, and they rip. Sound a lot bigger than 20 watts.

The RedPlates sound good, but I would have to research them.

straightblues - thanks for confirming something for me: I also prefer the tweed Pro to the Deluxe (even if it is a stretch to think of the Pro as a "small" amp). I think the Victoria 35115 and a Super Reverb would be a hard-to-beat two amp collection, and, given the cash and the space, could become a great three amp set by adding an Ivy League or a Princeton Reverb.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
I agree with the BF and tweed thing. I have it covered both ways:

Tweed
tweed bassman (Sterling)
Fender EC Tremolux

BF-inspired
Gries 20 (DR like)
Allen Encore (VR like)

Pelagic

Silver Supporting Member
I also prefer the tweed Pro to the Deluxe (even if it is a stretch to think of the Pro as a "small" amp)
If you want to stay small, but the Deluxe isn't quite right, check out the Brown Princeton (6G2). Very compact and I believe the circuit is very similar to the tweed 5F11.

J D Miley

Silver Supporting Member
Can you turn up at home? That would determine whether I went for, eg, a 5E3 or 5F4 in a tweed type. I don't see the point of going up the next step to the Bassman or 50w Twin if you're not playing with a rhythm section regularly.

In a bf circuit, it's hard to beat a Vibrolux or Pro Reverb unless you really need portability, in which case, Deluxe Reverb would be my choice.

With all that said, have you tried the Victoria Silver Sonic/Golden Melody circuits? More or less the same preamp, low/high powered respectively. Amazing sounds. If I were in the market at that price point, that's definitely where I'd start.
I played a Victoria Victorilux recently (48 watt Black face in a tweed cab) . That amp was the best Fender style amp I have ever played on. It is what a really good Fender should sound like and then some ! I like it way better than the Fender 57 twin or my friend's Black faced pro reverb. Just all around killer sound, tone and dynamics. I am also looking to try the Golden Melody . For a Fender vibe, I have not played anything better !

StratStringSlinger

Silver Supporting Member
I have a modded Showman and modded Tweed Deluxe. I find it interesting so many people are suggesting blackface power and tweed mean. If you are totally ok with completely changing your approach when switching amps than go for it. For instance with my Showman I use a pedal board with multiple OD's and a clean boost. With the Tweed Deluxe I go straight in and just use the volume knob on the guitar. I find them so different that it requires a totally different approach, and though with the guitar volume turned down, the tweed deluxe can sound good clean they are pretty different tone wise. I got a Tweed Bassman on order and eventually want a lower wattage blackface type amp. I think if you are Fender amp guy than four amps would be perfect. High power blackface, lower power blackface, high powered tweed and low power tweed.

Zen Guitar

Hard to say too much without knowing a bit more about what and how you play, etc, but...

If you are set on Fender only options... My favorite Blackface amp is the Super Reverb. For a Tweed, the Bassman and Tweed Twin are two that come to mind right away, but if you are looking for an easier carry... The Tweed Deluxe.

If you are open to some non-Fender options... The Mesa Lone Star Classic is an amazing amp as are a lot of 100Watt Dumble types (I love my Bludotone Ojai). Both can get you some Fenderish tones, but also offer plenty of muscle.

DavidS

Silver Supporting Member
If you play a wide range of styles and gig I'd vote for larger blackface and a smaller tweed. I'd pick something like Vibrolux Reverb and a Tweed Deluxe.
Exactly what I use as well. Its a perfect twosome, but I also have/use a BFDR too.

DV52

I will pipe in,and preface by hating to be the guy that always says his amp blah blah. But I have a 57 Bandmaster RI that sounds pretty damn good.

Imola82

Similar to a suggestion posted on the first page of this thread. My new amp was built in Chicago, where it appears we are both located. Its a BFDR chassis cab. It has the 5U4 Rectifier tube, 2 Celestion Alnico Golds squeezed in, 110 and 112. Negative feedback dial in the rear. Bass pot is push/pull midboost. Mercury Magnetics OT. If you go to sweetamplification.com, my amp is the second amp featured on the landing page, posted Feb. 21. Pat does great Fender style builds, big recommendations. Plus local!

I would either go Tweed twin/bassman (matter of preference) and a deluxe reverb or tweed deluxe and super reverb
However if this were going to be my amp setup I wouldn't say no to a tweed super and a deluxe reverb either

Last edited:

Rob 62

Imola: I live one block from Patrick McKeever's shop. He is a great guy, and has done repair work on my Victoria. I am sorely tempted to follow StratStringSlinger's advice and ask Pat to build me four amps: high and low-powered blackface and high and low-powered tweed. He could do it all, no doubt. Whether I have the room or the funds - this is another story.

Thanks, all. I was unaware that the thread had revived!

straightblues

A Redplate amp would do both for you very well.

For old Fender stuff, I would buy a Fender Harvard and a BF Super Reverb.

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
Bassman Tweed and Deluxe Tweed. Blackface's just don't rock enough for me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom