A bridge HB that sounds like a neck HB...any out there?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tone_Terrific, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Something that's open, not nasally or mid boosted or bitey or ice picky or barky, etc. One that sounds good clean without changing the eq from the optimal neck eq, just a bit brighter, a tiny bit more mids and slightly rolled off bass...bright but smooth at the same time.
    It still has to OD well, like a neck HB can, but not quite as mushy. I'll take care of eq with the amp or pedals for specific shaping, but for normal use, a natural sounding transition is what I am looking for.

Most hot hbs are way too pushy, most neck ones, moved to the bridge are then too bright and the tone still is not open enough.

Even a classic PAF type exhibits greater tonal change than I am shooting for, in this case.
    Any good experiences?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i don't see it happening. the tonal difference from location is all about picking up a different set of overtones from the string, along with a different set of cancellations, something EQ and pickup construction by definition can't change.

3. funkmaster

funkmaster Member

you could try flipping the pickup so the adjustable polepieces are facing the neck and lower them. I flipped my neck humbucker pickup once in a les paul and it totally turned it around. It made it brighter, cleaner, lowered the output (in a good way), and I just liked it more than the way it was.

4. amc

amc Member

you just aren't a fan of the bridge position pickup location..........

it will not do what you are looking for, no matter what humbucker you slap in the bridge
    pickup location

the one luthier that has dealt with modifying the location of the bridge pickup is gene baker with his b3 fire guitar.

the bridge humbucker on the b3 fire is moved just slightly forward towards the neck.
    this relatively slight shift in pu location (approx.1/4") makes an astounding difference
    in bridge humbucking tone

maybe gene baker could chime in and comment on what i think is a huge improvement
    in bridge humbucker tone

jmho

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Yep, probably fighting a losing battle with regular pup placement.
    Well, it wouldn't work for all guitars but something with a swimming pool rout would allow some experimentation.
    I'm pretty sure it needs to be more than halfway back from the neck pup to get me into the right zone, I'd guess about a half inch further ahead than most bridge pups, but that is a guess.