A cab question for the Shiva owners out there.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TNJ, Jan 20, 2006.

1. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I recently did a deal for an EL34 Shiva head w/verb. Should have by next week. I have always dug the amps,and this will be my 2nd Shiva head, and 4th Bogner product. My question is this: what 212 cab will best fit everything this amp does? I've recently seen some Bogner closed back 212 cabs, but have also wondered about the True Tone cabs, THD, the Guytron cabs, and of course the 212 elliptical Avatar cabs loaded with V30's.
    Cost is a factor, but quality is right there too. I value cleans as much as the overdrive, but want a cab that can do both better than either alone. I play 50:50 single coils/buckers, and do everything from Journey to Toto to Kansas to The Police.
    Give me your .02!
    Thanks,
    S.
    j

2. bobbtoz

bobbtoz Silver Supporting Member

I'm really dig'n my shiva through a 2x12 orange cab loaded w/ v30's.

3. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

The new Avatar "Premier Vintage 212 Custom" has the cosmetics to match the Shiva nicely.

4. kselbee

kselbee Member

I run my Shiva into an Avatar with a Classic Lead 80 and G12H... good combo.

5. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

Bogner OS 2x12

Anything less than that and you won't be able to tame the beast!!

:)

6. Ken

Ken Member

Steve,
    I use the big Bogner cab, but I opened up the back into an open back...For me this works...I also use a V30 and a Weber Silver Bell in there...

And Welcome back to the Bogner Shiva family...Your one of the reasons I have my Shiva...Back in the PRS days you suggested I try one!

7. prsflame

prsflame Member

I've been using a DRZ ZBEST 2x12 loaded with the stock speakers that it shipped with. (Both are celestion of some sort) I think the cab sounds great with this head. It's a little brighter than the Bogner cab, but the clean sound, as well as the overdriven sounds are both very good.

8. shblay

shblay Member

I'm using a Shiva 6L6 Head into a Bogner 2x12 cab. The oversized one with a closed back. V30 and GT75 in it. Works great for me. I get a good all around clean tone out of it. Though i have not A/B'ed it against other 2x12 cabs so can't really compare.

9. PaulE

PaulE Supporting Member

The Shiva sized 1x12 is an amazing sounding cab also unless you're dead set on a 2x12. It's light and it sounds big-it'll surprise you.

10. AD

AD Supporting Member

I left you a voice mail at work - check out the Tone tools cab and Guytron Big tone speakers - I think it would be a good fit with the Shiva - alex

11. Shemp

Shemp Member

I'm running my EL 34 into a RI Marshall 2061 2X12 with H30s. Sounds great.

12. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Supporting Member

I have two Avatar 212's, both with the V30/G12H30 combination, sounds great to me!!

Allan.

13. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

:RoCkIn I have played a Shiva through the oversize 2x12 Bogner cab, and the Shiva 1x12 cab. Also, an older Marshall JCM800 2x12. I just did my own experimenting with cabs, and surprisingly I found that using two Bogner ported Shiva 1x12 cab, one with a V30 the other with a G12H, gives me the perfect sound for doing great cleans and killer crunch rhythms.

It doesn't hurt that I can easilly carry the cabs, since they are both around 40 lbs. But the cleans are surprisingly spanky using two of those cabs at once, and the mids and bass are still tight and all Bogner.

Don't you just love Shivas? They freakin' rock man :AOK

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

THD2x12

seriously, its unfreakin' real!

15. Plan9FOS

Plan9FOS Member

I have to agree ... a THD 2x12 was ironically my next choice after my two 1x12 cabs. I also think the Shiva sounds killer through one of those. I just have this thing about the head and cabs being from the same maker (OCD strikes again).

16. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I gotta suggest the oversized Bogner as well...This has got to be the best over all 2x12 on earth, it moves air and nails the big woofy sound not found in lighter, smallers cabs and can still do cleans wonderfully...mines is stereo'ized for maximum versatility...on the down side, they are a bit big and heavy..

17. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I don't know. I have several different 2x12 cabs, and one of those heads. I wouldn't say I'm in love with any of the combinations. As usual, I like this cab with two old EVM-12Ls in it but that cab sounds best with almost any of my heads.

But I don't think it is the best for all the stuff the Shiva head does. It's extremely nice for the clean, and the drive side is very good, but seems to me something better might be possible on the drive side. I haven't come across it though.

18. RSRD

RSRD Member

+1

I hear alot of raves on the Bog OS 2X12s too. But really, what cab doesn't the shiva sound amazing thru! I'll have clips on the recording page soon from my bands 3rd recording. I have tracks with the shiva thru the bogner 4X12 w/ V30s and the Shiva thru the THD 2X12 with the longhorn and the vintage. They both sound amazing.

Let us know what you end up with and what you think of the amp!

~t

19. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for all the replies, guys!
    Lotsa food for thought here.
    Which is exactly what I was hoping for.
    I used to have an Avatar 212 cab with V30's, but never got a chance to try it with a Shiva head.
    The THD's are very alluring, and the OS 212 Bog cab is another obvious candidate. The Truetone cabs have gotten alot of praise around here too.
    Decisions, decisions... :cool:

S>
    j

20. RSRD

RSRD Member

I played my Shiva thru a friends Avatar 2X12 with V30s, and while I really like Avatars cabs, I didn't like it with the Shiva. It didn't sound as big and open as the bog and THD cabs. you want a little bit more 'bigness' from your cab since the Shiva can be a little bit compressed :)

Good luck with the search.

~t