A celebration of the great vintage rock and jazz keyboards

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Alan Lenhoff, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Alan Lenhoff

Alan Lenhoff Member

(Please delete this post if it is not permissible.)

My new vintage keys book, "Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music," is a big, beautifully photographed celebration of Hammond organs, Rhodes and Wurlitzer electric pianos, combo organs, the Minimoog, Mellotron, Clavinet, RMI keyboards and many more. Endorsed by Rick Wakeman ("Yes"), Donald Fagen (Steely Dan), Chuck Leavell (Allman Brothers and musical director of The Rolling Stones) and Steve Nieve (Elvis Costello and the Attractions).

You can learn more about it and see sample pages here: ClassicKeysBook.com .
    Or you can buy it here:

Alan Lenhoff

Gilky, InkStained, Litterick and 6 others like this.
  2. magilla

magilla michaelggguitar (IG) Gold Supporting Member

This book looks terrific. I love all the classic keyboards.

I would love a copy ... and I should gift one to a friend that I know will love it (we’ve played a lot of gigs together, mostly him on B3, but also Wurli and Clavinet among others ... and my father would love this, even as a guitarist but as a fan of music and gear in general. Added to my wishlist, will grab a couple copies soon.

Congrats on a great book, Alan.

crashbelt likes this.
  3. crashbelt

crashbelt Member

Just placed my order - reviews look great.

I'm a part time keys player, just using my Nord's vintage style B3 Wurli and piano sounds for blues, soul and rock covers.

Cant wait to read all about the history of these vintage instruments and get how they work too.

Badtone likes this.
  4. Badtone

Badtone Silver Supporting Member

My copy arrived today, and it has exceeded my expectations. Being TGP, it weighs in at 5.4 lbs; it’s a substantial tome. I’ve never seen a book like this devoted to the keyboards we know and love; many exist for guitars. It’s printed on very nice stock, the photos are fantastic, and the little bit of narrative I’ve read so far has been interesting. Anyway two thumbs up OP, you hit it out of the park.

Back in the day when I visited bookstores regularly to feed my reading habit I’d have snapped this right up. Today, had it not been for this post, I may never had known it existed.

I’m glad you posted this, @Alan Lenhoff, and GLWTS :beer

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    Gilky and crashbelt like this.
  5. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Damn! Looks like a classic

:dude

6. WordMan

WordMan Silver Supporting Member

Shared with my keyboard-geek friend. He loved it. Thanks for sharing.

7. InkStained

InkStained Member

Great idea for a book. Congrats.

8. crashbelt

crashbelt Member

Its arrived and is really great. We have loads of good vintage guitar books but I've never seen vintage keys covered so well.

Just made me sad I sold the Wurli 200 series stage piano I gigged for 10 years! Although it was impossible to tune and maintain properly. My Nord Stage does a very good Wurli but still doesn't quite capture that What'd I Say classic sound!

Brilliant book.

9. Scottone

Scottone Member

I'm a terrible keyboard player but love vintage keyboards....I'll be ordering for sure. Thanks for the heads up.

10. Alan Lenhoff

Alan Lenhoff Member

Thanks to Marc Myers, music journalist, historian and author, for these kind words yesterday about Classic Keys on his award-winning jazz blog, JazzWax.com:

BOOK OF LOVE: If you love rock and electronic keyboards, Alan S. Lenhoff and David E. Robertson have just published Classic Keys: Keyboard Sounds That Launched Rock Music (University of North Texas Press). The 406-page coffee table book is beautifully written and features page after page of photos of electronic keyboards that gave rock its personality. There are in-depth chapters on the Hammond B-3, the Vox Continental, the Farfisa Compact, the Hohner Clavinet, the Minimoog, the Wurlitzer, the Hohner Pianet and many others. Each chapter is loaded with history about their development, the rock bands that used them and hits that featured them. Enormous fun reading through while listening to vintage vinyl.

ClassicKeysBook.com

Alan

Gilky and crashbelt like this.
  11. hidesert

hidesert Member

Glad you posted this. Thanks. I ordered mine today.