A Cheep FIX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by chris77, Feb 6, 2008.

1. chris77

chris77 Member

So I have this Peavey classic 50 410 that I really like, but the speakers are starting to crap out. They kind of woof on the low end I dont really know how to explain it. Or if it is one or all of them. They are not tight in the lows at all maybe even blown. Although I'm not sure what a blown speaker sounds like. Bottom line is I would like to replace the speakers but I only have about 300 bucks in the amp. I need to find some good replacements even used is fine just dont want to have to spend more than the amp is worth to drop in replacements. Anyone have any ideas of how to approach this or should I just decide to put her down. Its an early 90's model with no labels on the speaker I asume that they are blue marvel. Thanks for any help!

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

A blown speaker sounds buzzy and messed up. Figure out which speakers are blown, and replace those. For low priced 10" speakers check out Weber speakers. He makes a few decent lower priced 10 inch speakers. Also look into Eminence speakers for lower priced speakers. I like the lil buddy hemp cone speakers.

dk

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

How old are the power tubes? Perhaps they are causing a lack of definition in the low end. Bob

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It's unfortunate (if it is the case...I only know the Classic 30) that the Classic Peavey wires the speakers direct, because otherwise you could have plugged the speakers into another head or combo without having to remove them, and hear if it is the speakers or not.
    I agree with the above, that it might be the speakers, but it also is an equal chance it is one of the tubes...

5. chris77

chris77 Member

thank you for all your suggestions. So as suggested by StompBoxBlues The Classic 50 I have has a 1/4" input that connects the speackers. So I ran my 410 Devile over to the speakers of the classic 50 and volia all the mud is gone so guess I will be buying some new tubes. Ok here is the next quesition I have 3 12a7's and 4 EL84's. So what is what? the new classic 50s dont have this many tubes. Any help will help!