A Clone Question, can it even be answered?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by reverendmando, Apr 9, 2015.

1. reverendmando

reverendmando Member

What pedals out there are NOT clones. Also, which pedals are original?

What is the first Chorus pedal? The first design for that circuit and such. Not looking to hunt them down and own them. Just pure curiosity.

2. manticorefx

manticorefx Member

Very few pedals are original. There are only so many ways to clip a signal. (This is assuming we're talking about distorition/od.) Most OD circuits are variations on other circuits, tweaked to either get something a little different out of them, or to make it less obvious where the circuit originated.

The TS is one of the most commonly cloned pedals, but if I remember correctly, it's basically ripped off the SD-1.

The Distortion+ was one of the first pedals with diode clippers to ground. The Klon uses a similar configuration, but with some original filtering, clean/od blending, and a charge pump.

3. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

My guess: Boss CE1.

4. nater9

nater9 Member

I think (I don't know for certain) that a lot of the first "effects" go back to reel to reel studio tricks and mistakes that turned into an 'effect', such as flanging, chorusing, pitch shifting, delays, all stem from reel to reel manipulation. Then somebody figured out how to put the effect in a stomp box.

Same might be true for distortion/od by overloading the input of the desk pre-amp etc.

5. Zelig

Zelig Member

I think that it's a modified OD-1.

6. reverendmando

reverendmando Member

Everything that I've read, usually points back to Ibanez Tubescreamer and Boss pedals. At lease as original circuit stompboxes.

7. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Add Electro Harmonix and that's pretty much the club of the big 3.
    Digitech and Dunlop/MXR might be the 4th and 5th.